1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Game Loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Anybody tried these loads for trap? I was at Walmart today and noted they had 12 gauge, 1 ounce, #8 shot, for $4.18 a box. Had a lot of them too. With the price of components it might be a decent load for 16 yard. Thoughts? Thanks. Ed

2. 33rocks

33rocks TS Member

When will people realize that Wal-Mart is the downfall of this once great country ?

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Ed,

The Remington Game Load shells are not only good from the 16 yard line, they also break targets well from the 27 yard line. They may pattern a little differently from your regular load, but they are not lacking in power. In general, I find that they pattern just slightly more open than the higher priced loads. If that's a problem, just use a slightly tighter choke (assuming that your gun has screw-in chokes). Otherwise, just shoot them and enjoy the cost savings.

Easystreet

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I would think that any intelligent person might understand that the "downfall of this country" is surely not the fault of WalMart. Why don't we start with the 20 million illegals here. Lets couple that with the kids born out of wedlock, the one parent homes, the divorce rate, the rap culture, the exploding prison population, the poor choices that the people have when they go to the voting booth, our energy dependency that is controlled by foreign governments, our assets in this country being bought up by the Chinese and other foreign entities, our open border, the corrupt news media, moveon.org, the ACLU, the disdain and hate that our colleges, (students and faculty) show toward our country, our flag, our military and toward our Christian beliefs and on and on and on. And you have the audacity to blame WalMart for the downfall of our country? Wait till President Hillary gains power! You then can blame that on WalMart too!! Unbelievable to say the least. By the way, what the heck does WalMart and the downfall of the country have to do with me gaining insight as to whether Remington Game loads would be a decent shell for 16 yard shooting?? Ed

5. BMC

BMC Member

I agree largely with Easystreet's sentiments about the RGLs. I usually use the Federal version, for just about everything and after grabbing up a couple of cases at the BPS sale, proceeded to shoot them up. They are fair, not nearly as good as the Federals and seem to pattern funny, or different as ES mentioned. They work, but after my experience with them I won't shoot them for registered, but everything else is fine.

6. BMC

BMC Member

Maximum FPS for a one ounce load in ATA is 1325fps. Those loads are one ounce @1290.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They work just fine and should be legal for ATA. They are not quite as good as the premium shells, but they are quite a bit cheaper. I have run several straights with these shells. I have obtained them in 7 1/2 shot sizes also, but the one ounce of eights does a great job if you are on the target, even back to the 27. The hulls are reloadable to boot, so it's not too bad a deal. They do pattern well, but are a bit more open than my reloads and premium shells. The patterns are still fairly uniform. They chronograph about as advertised. They have a bit more kick than a one ounce load at 1200, but I'm not that recoil sensitive. We bought a bunch of flats at $41.40 to try them out.

WalMart also has a Winchester one ounce load for under $4 a box, but they are listed at 1350 fps. That puts them over the limit for ATA. I tried one box and they really do smoke the targets.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

I think those Winchester's might be a 24gm load and not a 1oz load ... check the box cause if they are they are legal to use ... but then I might be wrong on the 24gm part.

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

If my local stores had those little light Winchester shells I would be all they had and ask them to order another pallet for my friends. If they truly are 24gm loads and are under $4 a box there are a few of us that would most likely buy upwards of 100+ flats.

10. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

I really like the Rem Game Loads for Trap; I like these a lot better than the Winchester Game Loads. Last night I shot 4 practice rounds using the Winchester Game Loads. As a previous poster noted, these are rated at 1350 fps, so they are not ATA legal anyway. These shells stink like crazy, and are noticably dirtier than the rest of the shells I use. I noticed that many of the metal hull bases on these win gameload shells were broken, so I was reluctant to use these, but they all fired & extracted anyway. I won't be buying these winchester gameloads anymore

Dicks often has the Rem Game Loads on sale for just under $40 a flat, which is actually a half decent deal for promo factory loads these days, considering I don't have to drive very far to get to a Dicks Sporting Goods store. - JoeBerg

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I like them, a bit of a kicker They are loaded pretty fast 1290 I think. I have had fun with

12. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

"the 'promo' loads use softer shot, which may or may not be of concern to you. they're certainly safe and if they function ok in your gun....."

Question - do the 1 oz. Estate Super Sport Target Loads (#SS12L1/H1)use softer shot? if these are soft shot, then for me, this is a moot point, since (IMHO) these are probably the best all around factory rounds for general target shooting & practice.

I'd shoot the "H1's" all the time if I could get them without chasing all over SE PA to keep a good supply of them, but I only have one local source for these, and when he runs out, he can't give me a good idea of when the next shipment is due in, or whether the 1 oz. shells will be part of the next shipment.

For me, the Rem Game Loads are acceptable substitutes for the Estates; I don't like the 1 oz Rem Gun Clubs, and as I stated above, the Winchester Gameloads are IMHO) garbage. - JoeBerg

13. bgf

bgf Active Member

I tried a couple of flats about a year ago. Unless they have improved considerably, I thought they stunk. Certainly not in the class as Estates...which is almost all I shoot.

Bernie

14. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

..........just returned from range.........95 from 16 with game load 7-1/2 with Mod choke out of 687, ran last 50 str........

good value for the dollars......

panthers314

15. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

The downfall of this country started with the chief Justice Earl Warren's supreme court in the 50's. All of this liberal jibberish started then. Also I remember in the 60's people said the K-Mart would be the downfall of the retail business in this great country, now it is Wal-Mart.

Clyde

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

lumper

The Winchesters were definitely a one ounce load at 1350fps. $3.97 a box to boot. They are just not legal for ATA. I haven't chronographed them, but I'd say they are up there in velocity. These were behind the counter and are in a white box. They were not out on the shelves.

17. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

They are 1 oz @ 1290 fps well within the ATA guidelines.

I shoot them for practice and my reloads for competition.

Jerbear

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Sorry, but the "sport marts" ate up most of the mom and pop hunting and fishing stores long before Mao Mart came on the scene. And then the sport marts jacked their prices. Now people are whining when Mao Mart is doing that to the sport marts.

19. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Damn capitolism anyway!!!

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

Why does most of the idiots who have no life get into a political mumbo jumbo of bullcrap about this and that just by the mention of a business. If you hate them that much and feel that they are that bad get a sign and go stand in front of there store ... they will let you do that ... they will let you stand in front of there store and picket them if you desire but the question is do you have the chockatooies to actually do that or just the keyboard courage to yell and scream and be tantraumatic about it on a trapshooting site???

Buy from them or dont buy from them but if local business's could and would even come close to there pricing they would get some business. This weekend for example ... Remington game loads at Wally World were $4.14 a box ($41.40 a flat)and a comparable shell at a very huge local shooting/hunting/fishing store (they bought a tractor trailer load) was $5.49 a box ($54.90 a flat). Sorry but I aint made of money but for the price difference I am happy to save the cash and be able to get over 3 more boxes of shells to shoot. Over the course of a year of shooting 8 rounds of trap/skeet a week that is a savings of close to $600 dollars.

Now $600 may not be a whole lot of money to most but ... if your club charges you $3 a round to shoot you have now saved enough money to pay for 6 months of shooting. Next time your in spending money with the higher priced local complaining about Wao-Mart and sharing crying towels ask him to pay for your next 6 months of targets if you buy your shells from him and see what he says.

Now do you wish to purchase from somebody that is going to pay your target costs for 6 months or do you wish to purchase from somebody that is now going to cost you $1200 dollars more a year to enjoy your sport?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.