1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington FIG8 And TGT12 Wads ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by undersluice, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undersluice

undersluice Member

I was wondering if Remington FIG8 and TGT12 wads are interchangeable ? Does anyone know their ballistics information ?

I do know that FIG8 is 1 1/8oz wad and TGT12 is 1oz BUT TGT12 is what Remington uses in their factory Nitro27 Handicap loads.

Thanks,
    JB

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The wads are ballistically the same but what makes the difference is the shot cup. Figure 8 is the common wad for 1 & 1/8 oz loads, and the TGT is for One ounce.

That is the conventional wisdom. Now, the rest of the story. If you load a Nitro clone using Titegroup and 1 & 1/8 ounce, you need the taller (TGT) wad because the powder is very dense. I think if you used Mec bushings the charge would be a bushing in the low 20's.

The TGT wad was the first to come along in the new STS shells, replacing the RXP, and reloaders found that even though the factory used them they could not get them to fit with 1 & 1/8 oz of shot. So they made a shorter version and called it the Figure 8.

Before Titegroup I loaded International Clays with a Figure 8 for handicap. When I went to the Titegroup I had to switch.

These wads work well in a host of other recipes also, in AA or Gun Club hulls as weel.

HM

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Ballistics are the same. TGT-12 is used in the Nitro because Remington uses a very dense powder like TightGroup. If your using a flake powder like Green Dot use the Figure 8. The legs of the Figure 8 are a little shorter than the TGT. Over powder and shot cups are the same.

Wayne

4. undersluice

undersluice Member

Thanks for your note HM.

I also use TiteGroup to replicate Nitro27. The published data on Hodgon website asks for 18.5 grains of powder to get 1255 ft/sec. Since that load was hitting 11.5K pressure, max legal pressure,I dropped the powder.

I am currently using 17.7 grains and they still came out pretty fast (1250+ ft/sec). How much TG powder do you use ?

Thanks,
    JB

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Here they are side by side. I would think the extra distance (Legs), would be to make up for the space created by the lesser amount of powder space taken up, as to stop the crimp from caving in. Jon
    [​IMG]

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I'm using 18, and loving it. If you are using a chronograph be sure and deduct about 30 FPS because they take the reading of the leading pellets in the shot column.

Industry measurements are made with an inductive coil device that measures the speed of the center mass.

The best way is to shoot factory shells over your device and make your loads match them.

HM

7. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

The powder used in the original nitro 27's was international clays, 21.0 grains if memory serves me right. I don't know if they still use that powder or not. Dale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.