1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Factory Crimps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lboh, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lboh

lboh Member

Was at Dicks today at stopped by the ammo department to see if there were any special deals.

For shits and grins I opened a couple boxes of STS and Nitro shells, wanting to check their crimps compared to mine. The crimps on some were very swirled and some were off-center by quite a bit.

I have been told that crimps are pretty key to performance and to keep them nice and neat with adjustments as needed. Was I told wrong and been culling ones I shouldn't?

Those Remington's were just not a pretty sight on some.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You want a horror show when it comes to crimps on factory shells, open some Win AA 20ga. That being said, the look of the crimp is completely mental, it has no effect whatsoever on the performance of the shell.

3. WJN

WJN TS Member

I shot a few cases of the Federal wounded warrior red,white and blue shells before I started reloading. The crimps were great but I ran into a few shells that I either couldn't get in the chamber or didn't even try. Had one that was bent it was so compressed.

Jim

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Good crimps are part of the formula needed for good shell performance. HMB

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Educated guess.

If the crimp depth and strength of the crimp is the same on an ugly shell as it is on a good looking one, performance has to be identical. Good crimp or ugly one, it is pushed into a perfect cylinder as the shot charge passes through it anyways.

6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If the crimp is tight but looks ugly,performance will be fine. You need the pressure from the crimp for proper ignition. My experience for the last 50 + years.
    Clyde Doll

7. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Crimp depth is important in establishing internal pressure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.