1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Experts

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mr Newbius©, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Strange but interesting problem ...

When pulling the bolt to the rear on a 1100 it has at times some serious resistance and when releasing the bolt it has at times some serious resistance as well.

With the trigger group removed the bolt seems to freely work in both directions but with the trigger group installed there is some serious resistance.

When swapping the trigger group with another trigger group from another gun above said resistance is still met but no resistance in other gun with original trigger group.

Yes it sounds strange and it has me confused as to what the problem may be.

Possibly the action spring? Maybe the action spring follower? How about the link? Well I dont think the link because I can swap links, like the trigger group with another gun and the problem is still there in one gun and not the other so ... what say ye Remington experts, what do you think it may be?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

First of all, clean the firearm including the trigger assy'.

The proper way to do this is to remove the bolt and action bar BEFORE removing the trigger, and re installing the trigger BEFORE replacing the action bar and bolt.

Make sure the disconnector is under the action bar, and not on top of it.

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Both guns have been cleaned including the trigger groups and I have assembled/disassembled both guns a couple different times comparing and checking this and that.

I even, god forbid a gun shootin man to say this ... I even got out the manual and checked it and such to how I was doing it to be sure I wasn't goofing something up on the one that is giving the problem.

Without placing an order for a new action spring and follower I am just wondering if anyone might have any other ideas or thoughts as to if it might be or it might not be in the action spring realm of the gun.

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

How does the length of the two springs compare? I'm no "expert"; however, it seems to me that it isn't the action spring as a weak spring would not cause binding in my estimation/experience.

Something else is worn and/or damaged. Take another detailed comparitive look between both guns.

Guy Babin

5. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

If the action is smooth with the trigger out and difficult with the trigger in place, the problem most likely lies in the trigger. Hammer face may be rough or misshaped. Hammer spring could be misshaped dragging on compression. The safety may be preventing trigger free movement during cocking action.

6. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

John ... I thought it might be the trigger assembly as well so that is why I swapped triggers with another 1100 but it did not make a difference which trigger was in the gun and the other gun functioned perfectly with both triggers.

This is why I'm wondering if any of those who know this gun much better than might know of a possible reason as to why this might be happening or just what I might need to order and replace to correct the problem.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

remove action spring and guide, might be all rusty and nasty in there. Had a field 1100 spring guide wear out funny almost egg shaped. sometimes rough to cycle action.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

maclellan1911 nailed this one!!

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

lthough this is a browning article problem is very simular to 1100s. If its been a long time since you cleaned the action spring/tube Just get a new spring and guide. The stainless one from surecycle is a great replacement.Cabela's -- Guidebook Story
    The first thing I want to look at is a statement in the Browning Gold owner's manual under Initial Cleaning: "Various exposed metal parts of your new gun ...
    www.cabelas.com/story-123/oseka_browning/10203/Deep%2Bcleaning%2Byour%2BBrowning%2BGold.shtml - 56k - Cached - Similar pages Not sure if this will work right but this acticle is a good read.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

super clean it. Growing up, when had problems with any of our guns. My dad would say clean it completly. Then when you think you have it clean do it again. So many times my dad has shown me. The gun aint clean! When its super clean. A lot of the higher wear areas will standout. Compare trigger group to trigger group, reciever to reciever ect ect.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I believe the problem could be with the action bar assembly. Swap assemblies with one from another gun and see if the problem goes away. HMB

12. Fowlgunner

Fowlgunner Member

HMB may be on to something.

I had a very similar problem to what you are describing.

Although, the action bars appeared and measured fine, apparently, the interaction with the action bar sleeve somehow would bind it, forward more than reverse but both ways needless to say.

We replaced the arms and it has never missed a cycle since. Gunsmith felt so sure that there was nothing wrong with my bars that he swapped them at no charge.

Will Gurton

13. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Unless I've misread the problem I disagree with the assessment of the mainspring and/or follower being the problem. Neither, is the trigger group a likely candidate. You obviously know how to assemble the gun or there would be problems with the other gun, as well. That leaves components of the culprit weapon. HMB hit on a possibility with the action bar. I don't know the official names of the the parts, but they're shell feed interupters. One is just inside the magazine loading slot and is held in place by a snap ring. I had a similar problem with that one and had to buy a thicker snap ring from Brownells to hold it in proper position. Another is a long stamped metal piece that you can assemble the gun without to verify whether it is the culprit. Lastly, check the bolt assy. guide channels in your receiver. Hope you've found it by now.

Buz

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

please post out come of your findings.

15. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

It sound like you have the bolt guide rod in up side down the curve part goes to the top of the reciver if it is facing the oppesit way it's in up side down turn it around and it should fix the problem .The rod I'am talken about is the rod that go from the bolt to recoil spring in the stock it has a very slite curve in it and is a comon mistake went you clean the gun and put the back togeter it will go in either way if wrong it hit the trigger unit and cause a bind. Hope this help good luck

16. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

The bolt guide rod is called the Link/ pickle fork by some.
    This could be. or not.
    Better check it tho.

Joe Woods/Ontario.

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If the link is backwards, it will not only refuse to work with the trigger in, it will refuse to work with the trigger out.

You might take the action bar and bolt out, and reassemble it WITHOUT the bolt. Apply the safety and look at the operation of the firearm. I can't help but think the disconnector is dragging on the action bar or interceptor latch.

The disconnector is the lever on the left side of the trigger that disconnects the sear from the hammer and prevents the arm firing out of battery. It is easy to see with the bolt out. Operate the slide slowly, grasping the action bar sleeve. If you install the barrel, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T PINCH THE FIRE OUT OF YOUR HAND!!!

In the picture above, which may need to be enlarged, notice the disconnector is UNDER the action bar and OVER the interceptor latch. When the action bar moves to the rear, the action bar pushes the disconnector down, which engages the interceptor latch.

If the latch is damaged, and you only load one shell in the magazine, the interceptor latch is not needed. It prevents the SECOND shell from double feeding from the magazine. If you decide to remove a damaged interceptor latch, install a magazine plug which will limit magazine capacity to one round.

I wish I had your firearm in my hands!!!!

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You need to further isolate the problem.<br>
    <br>
    HMB said to swap the action bar assemblies. (The round cylinder on the mag tube that runs to the bolt). This would be a start. There is a sheetmetal (cast steel on early guns) "barrel support" that if damaged could cause drag. It is easily replaced.<br>
    <br>
    I'd also swap the barrel themselves in case there is a problem with the barrel extension. Without the trigger group installed the bolt will not lock up. There might be a problem with a burr caused by peening in the barrel extension.<br>
    <br>
    Likewise the bolt itself should be swapped, because the locking lug could have a problem. A broken firing pin can also cause problems because its movement directly affects the locking lug.<br>
    <br>
    Hopefully this will isolate the problem to the receiver, or to a subassembly. Let us know what your findings are.

19. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Screw it ... I think I'll just buy a new gun. Any idea if anyone around here might have one for sale? ;-)))

Thanks for the advice. I'll tear into it this weekend or possibly just order a new action spring, follower and such and then tear into it and just possibly ... well ... maybe after tearing into it again I will really be shopping for a new gun.

20. mclane

mclane TS Member

Check the feed latch/shell stop on the right side of the reciever to make sure that the tip is not broken off of the front end where it goes behind the magazine tube. If this happens it will not align properly with the action bar and will cause binding. (this usually won't happen when the trigger group is removed). Good luck!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.