1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

remington choke problems

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by plinker61, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

HELP,i just purchased a new remington 870 classic trap today,went straight to the club,put in the long handicap .041 choke tube,shot 125 targets(did pretty well)was happy as a kid in the candy store untill i went to clean it.i looked down the barrell from the chamber end and saw somthing that didnt look rite,looked at the muzzel end and choke tube was still at the same level as when i installed it,so i went to take it out and it was hard to turn out at first,but then came out as usual.once out, i relaized the problem 1/4 inch of the thread end was missing from the choke tube,and it wasnt in the barrell,it left the barrell as i was shooting,after a good cleaning of the threads,i was abel to screw a new tube in almost all the way by hand,and it seated flush with the muzzel as normal. is it a problem with the tube?the barrell?somthing i did? any one else ran into this problem?thanks,mark jones

2. winselect

winselect TS Member

Im new to all this, but if your barrel is backbored wouldnt your chokes have to be for a backbore barrel? Maybe yours arent.
    Kevin

3. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

yes, 2007 model,im the first to own/shoot it(125 rounds),tubes came with the gun and are remington tubes,thanks,mark( no camera to post pics)

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

This is going to sound stupid but are you certain that the choke was screwed all the way in? I did the same thing one time and although I was pretty certain at the time the choke was in tight it wasn't tight enough. I still have the choke tube as a reminder. Not saying this is what you did, but it is what I did and I had exactly the same result. Jeff

5. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

superxjeff,i thought it was tight,may have screw'd up though was excited to get to shoot new gun(usually can only afford used guns)the choke tube was flush with the mozzel when i took it out though,did you have any problems after that with the tubes?is the gun safe to shoot?has any one else seen this happen?thanks,mark

6. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

7. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The bottom 3/16" of Remington choke tubes don't have threads.

Ed

9. atashooter

atashooter Member

Here is a pic of a Brand new, unused Remington 870 choke tube. The last of it has minor lines from machining that could be mistaken for stripped threads. This shotgun, on the first day out, was shot, then the tube was tight coming out, I had cleaned the bore like the owner's manual said. After I got it out, I found that it and the barrel threads was coated in cosmo, or something like it. I should have removed the tube ( which was in it from the factory ) and got the threads too. I guess the heat had turned goo into glue. I took a brass bore brush with some cleaner, cleaned threads in barrel, and then cleaned the tube threads, applied some choke tube lube, and it's slicker than a minnow's tool now. Hope this helps...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

thanks guys,i did call remington the next day,the service tech couldnt(or didnt want to) give me a reason for the tube coming apart,(if you look at the pics.ata shooter posted the un threaded part before the threads was completely gone along with some of the threads.)he did say he was sorry it happend to me,and he would make a note on the problem in my case file,and that he would have 2 new tubes in the mail that day,funny he for some reason didnt want the bad tube back.may be he all ready knows what it is gonna look like. after talking to a gun smith here in town he looked at the tube under a loop ,and the bottom of the thread where it was tore away he felt was cut to deep making it weak(about 3/16 in area you could see it clearly).thanks,mark jones

11. Drumplayer26

Drumplayer26 TS Member

Do know anyone else who has the new 870, ask them if they had the same problem, it probably was a manufacturing mess up.

12. grouper

grouper TS Member

Plinker,

I have a new 870 express - no problems with the choke tubes yet. I do empathize with you though. Having a problem with your new pride and joy can be terribly dissapointing. It sounds like you're on the way to getting it resolved. Happy shooting.

Grouper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 870 choke problem

remington 870 choke thread problems