1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington center fire trigger pull adjustment

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

The first center fire rifle I purchased 40 years ago was a Remington Model 700 in .22-.250 calibre. I used that gun for quite a few years to reduce the local ground hog population. I seem to remember that I thought the factory trigger pull needed some work to lighten it up so I made some "adjustments."

I haven't shot the gun in many years. The last time I took it out the gun wouldn't go into battery. When I close the bolt the action won't stay cocked. I've got to believe I managed to lighten the trigger pull so much it will no longer go into cocked mode. At one point in the past if I worked the bolt several times the gun would eventually stay cocked - but I didn't trust it even on safe.

Any simple suggestions - other than take it to a gunsmith - to correct the problem ? The only gunsmith I knew of in the central Indiana area recently closed up shop. Diagrams showing how to adjust trigger pull, etc. ? I thought about putting a Canjar or other aftermarket trigger but don't shoot the gun often enough now to warrant putting much money into it.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are two triggers that can be on your 700. One has 3 adjustment screws(target trigger) and one that has 2 adjustment screws. You have to adjust the sear engagement screw. If you increase the sear engagement the gun will stay cocked. HMB

3. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

http://www.quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html

4. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Many thanks ken1 - just what I needed. I'll give it a try this p.m.

This site is the best - I think you could ask and get detailed instruction about how to perform your own open heart surgery ! Probably with no more antispetic than two fingers of Crown Royal to boot !

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

This is the one thing I don't like about my M700s. Like you I had adjusted my triggers and also see this falure to stay cocked on closing the bolt from time to time. Worse yet the striker occaisionally drops when the safety is moved to the fire position. My solution was never to chamber aa round until ready to fire and never use the safety. A better solution would probably be a new trigger group.

This is also the heart of a current law suit against Remington. - Be very careful.

6. larryjk

larryjk Member

This sounds like Remington triggers that were just fine when new. Now that the oil has turned to varnish, they will ocasionally fail to cock. Take the rifle to an experienced gunsmith; who will disassemble and clean the trigger. Then don't put oil in the trigger.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The reason the 700 Remington will not stay cocked is the sear engage is not properly adjusted. When adjusted properly the gun will stay cocked. If there is too much engagement the trigger will have creep. If there is not enough engagement the gun will not stay cocked, or will fire if bumped or dropped.

Unlike shotgun triggers which have no adjustment screws, a 700 rifle trigger has an adjustment screw for weight of pull and a screw to remove trigger creep(sear engagement).

The common method of adjustment for sear engagement is with the gun cocked turn the screw until the gun fires, then back off the screw 1/2 to 1 turn. Then dry fire the and see how the trigger feels. If the trigger is creep free and the gun stays cocked a drop of loctite or five minute epoxy can be put on the screw to keep the adjustment. HMB

8. Fhil Whiner

Fhil Whiner TS Member

This is why the book says "Competent Gunsmith" and not "Ham handed bastard" should adjust the trigger.

People who don't know what they are doing and the sue because the company allowed them to screw up their gun.

Go figure....Only in America

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The safety on Remington 700s and 40X high power target rifles have always been a potential problem. High power rifle match competitors would always remove the safety assembly from their rifles. The only safe gun is one that is unloaded with the bolt open. HMB

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here's another link, if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rem 700 will not stay cocked on closing