1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington better listen up!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kiot98, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiot98

kiot98 TS Member

Why did Remington come in 3rd for sales at the Grand? Hmmmmmmm I wonder!

http://www.gamaliel.com/content/2012_grand_ammo_sales.asp

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What do you bet they are too stupid or bull headed to admit it and do the same thing next year??

or scenario two:

The person/persons who made the decision to not have a rebate are soon job shopping.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Did someone forget scenario 3??? They stop making target shells altogether!!! Bass Pro Shops is selling a hug amount of gun clubs the last month (and still is for a short time yet). We all know that target shells profits are very small compared to hunting shells. Now that there is alot more competion like Nobel Sports, B&P, Rio's/Keman's and a couple of others multiplied by a economy thats lost around 50% of shooters for the long term and what would you do if you were a Marketing expert for a large shotshell firm??? I don't have any facts about Rem's future, but all companies are hurting right now and they have to trim the fat where they can to stay afloat. I hope I'm wrong, "But". break em all Jeff

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Remington will be for sale soon, if not already. They are clearing the stock and feeling the temperature. They have no incentive to worry about a few trapshooters.

5. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Setterman,

A sad commentary on a fine old AMERICAN company. I worked for them in the late 60's and early 70's, and we all bled Green! There was pride in our product, and in our position in the industry. Today it seems to be the bean counters who are running the show. Shovel the cheapest shit out the door in the least amount of time, and if the consumer isn't dumb enough to buy it then drop it from the product line. Back in the day, the shotguns they are marketing now would have gone in the dumpster instead of to the loading dock!

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

There is some strategy cooking there for sure. I would be nice if someone would come on here with some knowledge and tell us.

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

In a nut shell, Remington DOES NOT CARE about clay target shooters IN THE LEAST. They haven't since they dropped the 3200 from their lineup, or there abouts.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Oh but Tron. Didn't they throw us a bone when they kept the 1100 Trap in production. See, you already forgot about the 90-T!!

9. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

I agree. I just went through the frustrating search to find a Competition Synthetic 1100 trap gun. They are on back order all over the US and the stores have zero, nada, nihil from Remington about when, of if, they will ever make anymore! From the demand I think they could put a little crimp in Beretta market share for semi-autos. But no sign from them. One store rep told me point blank:"We know nothing, they don't even answer our phone calls or emails and we are one of their biggest accounts."

Every other gun company is raking it in right now, especially the handgun, tactical shotgun and tactical rifle types. And entry level, moderate priced target guns are also moving fast.

If anybody can get anything out of them, or if they follow this website, please chime in.

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They didn't even/coulnd't even make the 90-T, so they farmed it out to what is now known as Kolar. Pathedtic, but common for an American company that is tied to the stock market.

11. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

I am with Tron on this one and will also add that their best target gun was their first o/u the model 32.
    Doug Allison

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The Remington Co ceased to exist once Cerberus took the reigns...and they have really fouled up a bunch of others they acquired too...Marlin being one...sadly as was said..bean counters and how to produce something faster/cheaper/and with a few people as possible, with those being unskilled as they can get away with so they will work for peanuts too...bottom line is all that counts....they will unload Remington and other company that doesnt turn out a profit from the cheapest junk they can peddle

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The money is in government contracts... period. Remington, ATK and Winchester want the military business - that's where the smart money is...

Everybody on this board wants Remington to make the STS and then begrudge them for making a fair profit... I'm surprised that Federal and Winchester followed through offering a 2012 rebate program, but at least they were saavy enough to force folks to mail rebates hoping a segment wouldn't bother...

Everyone is chiseling everyone else... better to make more money on a smaller volume than to make less money on bigger volume...

Jay

14. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Setterman... "Remington will be for sale soon"? Remington was just bought. Word around the Grand was that Remington was getting out of the shotshell business.

blade819

15. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Total sales for all target shotshells are about 3 percent of all their shotgun shell sales.They dont have to even make them or give a ShT. Jeff

16. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Puul & Mark,
    Probably has the best sense of what's causing changes with Remington.

When the economy was roaring a number of Foreign shotshell companies saw what they thought was easy pickens pushing their low cost products into our market, which was shrinking by they way.

These new brands diluted further an already contracting market which relied heavily on high production volumes to maintain profits. The answer to these lower cost foreign shotshells from our domestic manufacturers were to produce lower cost products. The consumer (you and me) embraced these low cost products over and above the higher quality higher cost shotshells. So here we are, the consumer got what they wanted a low cost shotshell, reducing demand for premium shells to the point where they're no longer profitable, poof!!! no profit no premium shells.

The consumer drives the market, sometimes driving the manufacturer into the ground never to be seen again.

Surfer

17. War Wagon

War Wagon Member

It sounds like when AMF owned Harley RUN IT IN THE GROUND then sell it off. Harley came out of it, IDK about Remington

18. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

Remington got in bed with Wal-Mart......now they're dead. The race to the bottom. Go figure.

"We have met the enemy....and he is us." Charlie Brown

19. crusha

crusha TS Member

Harley had the emotional purchase decisions of a lot of fat middle-aged men to buoy them out of the rut.

Those same old men have expen$ive foreign guns and shoot the cheapest shells they can find to shoot in them, so they won't have to pull a handle and get some exercise. Since Remington no longer makes expensive guns...this leaves little on the table for them.

If the only exercise you get is loading flats of Estates into your dual-axle fatso wagon, congratulations - you reap what you sow.

Now, sit there and bitch about capitalism, why don't you?

20. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

AEST Boss - " We have met the enemy, and he is us" is a quote from Pogo. Charlie Brown said "Rats".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.