1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Barrel - Step Rib vs Flat Rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dickgshot, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It makes no difference. The step isn't that great. The beads will be a little closer together and you will see slightly less of the rib, that's all. If you decide you really want a higher rib, an add-on rib is easier to install on a flat rib anyway.

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The step rib 870 TC Barrel (circa 1987) and the 11/87 Premier Trap step rib barrel (again circa 1987) are over bored at around .745". My experience is that these barrels have less felt recoil and, with the super full choke tube, will break targets from the back of the parking lot.

Ed Ward

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I never noticed any difference in recoil between my normal bore 1187 barrels and the backbored step rib barrel. If there is one it was imperceptible to me.

The biggest advantage for me is that I use cheap promotional loads, like those from Mao Mart. The shot is soft in them, and distorts easily. The backbored barrel gives better patterns because the shot distortion is less. At least that's what I'm assuming is happening. Regardless, the patterns are better.

As for the rib itself, it is a bit higher at the receiver end. In theory this should match up with the higher comb, but I don't see much of a difference when shooting it. And if you have an adjustable comb and set it higher than the factory comb, there's no difference at all. You'll be looking down onto the rib. The comb height and the height of the rib at the muzzle determines the point of impact relative to the point of aim, not the height of the rib at the receiver.

4. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Definetly, step rib. Remington discontinued the step rib as
    as money saving measure. The flat rib is a field gun rib. Almost
    All of the high grade trap guns come with over-bored barrels.
    Find a step-ribbed over-bored barrel and you've got the best.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Before Remington came out with the step rib all trap barrels had flat ribs and fixed chokes. These were excellent barrels. The early (1970's) barrels with the step rib were excellent barrels, fixed chokes, and were NOT overbored. These are prized by 1100 shooters.
    I assume your barrels are fixed choke, and if they are, I would definitely keep them and shoot them.

6. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I have a step rib 30" modified barrel that I just purchased and a 30" flat rib full barrel and I can not tell any difference in distribution with both patterns being about 50% above and below center on the pattern board; if there is any it may be obscured by the choke differences. The benefit is having the extra length of a 30" modified fixed choke barrel, not the step rib...

Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

11-87 premier point of aim

difference between a flat and a step rib 391 beretta shotgun

difference between flat rib and step rib

look flat down rib or tip barrel trap forums

remington 870 fixed choke barrel flat rib

what is a step rib

what is a step rib on a shotgun barrel