1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington Barrel Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by njwoodworker, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njwoodworker

njwoodworker Member

What is the significance of the term "barrel contour" ?
    I have an 1187 trap model which is designated "target" on the barrel. There is a barrel posted here that states "standard contour".
    Can someone give me a short education on the differences?
    Dan Gill
    908-448-6820

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I don't know all the differences. I know my 1100 sporting has a contour barrel and my Field 1100 for end will not fit properly on it. I had a crack in my for end and Remington sent me a new one, she asked me if I had a sporting or field gun.

Jerbear

3. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Standard contour barrels are larger in diameter from just in front of the chamber to just in front of the gas cylinder (barrel hanger), they taper from 1.030" just in front of the receiver, to .925" just in front of the gas cylinder, to .835" at the muzzle for fixed choke barrels, .875" for Rem choked barrels.

Light/Target contour barrels don't taper as sharply at first in the chamber area, there is a smoother transition from full diameter to 1.060", they then taper to .835-.840" just in front of the gas cylinder (barrel hanger), they then taper back up to .875" at the muzzle to make room for Rem Chokes.

A Light/Target contour fore end will have to be opened up, in the barrel channel, to fit a standard barrel. It will then be a sloppy fit if used on a Light/Target contour barrel.

Michael Goines

4. njwoodworker

njwoodworker Member

Thanks,

To both of you.

Mike, I think that nails it pretty well. If I decided to purchase the standard barrel I would need a standard fore end to go with it.

Did they make a target contour in 26 or 28 inch lengths or only in 30 inch. I use the gun for friends and family at sporting clays. Some of them think it's a bit long.

Left handed barrels are already scarce and I was prepared to buy the barrel Ruck has for sale.

Dan

5. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Dan,

Yes, standard fore end would be the best solution.

Remington has made RH 30", 28" and 26" Light/Target contour barrels. I do not know about LH barrels.

Michael

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Michael is correct except for one thing....

The light contour barrel and standard contour barrel are the same until you get past the forcing cone, not the chamber.

Because the two are the same to just past the forcing cone, the light contour barrel fits snugly into the standard contour forend, but it has a lot of clearance past that point. In my experience there is no slop or wiggle because the forcing cone area fits snug.

Thew 1187 target barrels are standard contour. A light contour barrel will thus fit in place of the target barrel. In fact, I'm doing this for trap and sporting clays - standard contour trap barrel for trap and a 28" light contour barrel in the standard contour trap forend for sporting clays.

7. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I would also add that the standard target barrel also came in a big bore and is a sought after barrel they shoot exceptionally well. I have a 28 inch with tubes I use for trap and sporting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.