1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REMINGTON Barrel buildup

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nsrailroad, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I noticed today on my 870 target barrel, it seams to be some build up around the end of chamber/forcing cone area, a dark circle abt 1/4 to 1/2 area around the barrel. I noticed this on my other REM barrels.The buildup is worst on the target barrel with screw in chokes,and seams like I just can't get it clean. My Winchester and Fox doesn't have this problem, completely smooth from one end to other.I heard that newer Rem barrels are rough, but don't know what area the person said it was. Any help on cleanig or polishing the area??
    Thanks
    Railroad

2. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

3. 333t

333t Member

It sounds like your barrel has a forcing cone that needs polishing. Brownells sells polishing stones that will do this using a household drill. I have had good success with 400-600 grit sandpaper fastened to and wrapped around an old cleaning brush, a metal cleaning rod, and drill. Use some cutting oil to prevent heat and don't over do it. The sandpapered brush should just fit nice and snug in the barrel and a little loose in the chamber. Do a half dozen passes with the 400 and then 600 and then clean and check. These fine grits will do little more than polish the bore unless you do it for an extended period. You would have to change the sandpaper many times to inflict damage. It works best to have your barrel in a padded vise, and keep the brush moving back and forth while it is running. You can achieve good results with this method if you're patient

Phil

4. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Thanks, if I get chance I dig out my 1970's and 81 1100 trap T & 870 TB to see how their barrels look.

5. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Thanks a lot....just took a good hard look at my 37 year old TB barrel and it has crap in it too. It seems I just polished it a year or so ago. It still must pattern well as I'm still regularly getting 25s and 50s.

Good luck. I used to use a tool with springs inside and bronze screens on the outside but would put that 400 wet or dry paper over the screens.

7. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I had a gunsmith to check it today nothing to worry about, keep it clean and oiled.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Savage is this what you are talking about?

Wayne
    [​IMG]

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Remington has not polished their forcing cones in years. They ream them, and leave them as-is. Doesn't hurt anything, but it's a pain to get them completely clean.

10. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

You right, Remington has lost alot of customers because of the small crap they changed,including the magazine caps. If it aint broke don't fix it.
    Railroad

11. Shell Shucker

Shell Shucker TS Member

Railroad;

Remington barrels, along with too many other makers tubes suffer from forcing
    cones that are way too short. To cure this problem you should have your
    cone properly reamed out to at least 1.5", followed by a good polishing.

I just finished reaming and polishing the forcing cones on my Rem.870 and
    my Mossy 835. For polishing I used the same method that 333t used and it worked
    quite well. Right after the sand paper and drill work, I used strips of 3M
    Scotchbrite pad(Green) wrapped around a 20ga. brush on my one piece cleaning rod and soaked in light oil to polish the entire bore. I use a straight back
    and forth motion going the full length of the bore, turning the rod slightly
    before the next stroke. After this I do a final polishing using oiled 0000 steel wool wrapped around the brush to burnish the bore.

This process will take a couple of hours to do properly
    but you will end up with a barrel that performs better and fouls far less.
    I used a Dave Manson long forcing cone reamer from Brownell's for the cone
    lengthening, and it worked very nice.

Happy Blastin'

JJ Clarke

12. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

13. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Wayne,,,exactly right. Just found it the other night. Virtually no bronze but still works great with 400 wetordry.

Stan

14. 2 kluk

2 kluk Member

I tried to get Savage to throw that old "too-hard-to-clean" Rem barrel away, but instead he shot a fifty straight in the league shoot yesterday. Congrats

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.