1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 879 cracked receiver

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pocker, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pocker

pocker TS Member

Remington 870 cracked receiver

Anyone had experience with a 870 develping a crack in the receiver at the back of the shell ejection port?

2. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

The 870 Competition model develops cracks in that area. I sent mine back to Remington and they refused to replace it. In the past, when receivers for the Competition model were available, some people were able to get replacements from Remington. On the inside of the receiver it looks like there is a squared, milled area close to the crack. I wonder if it should have been radiused rather than squared.

3. Fowlgunner

Fowlgunner Member

Tried drilling a hole to stop the crack but it must have developed at angle.

Anyway, the crack behind the hole is longer now than the one between the hole and the ejection port. About 1 and 5/8th total inches long.

Still functions fine, although I don't shoot it as often as I once did.

Fowlgunner

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've only got 4-5000 rounds through my 870 Comp and haven't shot it much since I bought my Ljutic in '83 but will be putting it back into service this year for my son....I'll have to keep track of that area.

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Just to point it out. If you look at the opening thread title it saids 879 and in the heading of the opening post it saids 870 ad in all others it saids 879. Strange.

6. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I had a TC (old model) crack like that called Remington, and felt they treated me extremely fairly put a new style trap receiver on for a little over $100. I was very impressed.

7. pocker

pocker TS Member

The subject line is a testimony to my typing ability. I appoligize to all.

Gun was returned to Remington before I found this site. This repair was sent to Gunworks of Central New York. They sent two estimates, both were for a "new Receiver-Classic Trap", but differed by $131. No explination for the difference.

Thanks to all. It was fun for six years. Time to move on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.