1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870TC ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jm1079, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

A Remington 870TC I purchased recently, showed up with a horizontal crack on the right side of the receiver behind the ejection port. At first I thought it was just a scratch but found out later it was a crack.
    I would like to find out if any one in this forum has had experience working with Remington on a similar issue, and what if any, was the outcome?
    Many thanks. JM

2. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I think the repair is to drill behind the crack to stop it? I have had several 870
    with no cracks

3. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Jm1079,
    Oddly enough I had the same issue with an older TC. Contacted Remington they didn't have any "TC" receivers but they did sell me one of the Classic Trap receivers at a very fair price. I was totally satisfied?

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Had my TB do the same after about forty years. Guess I'll have to contact Remington. Been shooting it with a replacement receiver for the past few years.

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

870s will crack there sometimes. The drilling a hole trick does not always work, but may.

I have a cracked TB unfortunately, my other one just as old and used is not cracked.

I've never seen an authoritative explanation for why this happens.

Guy Babin

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Some years ago, a Remington representative told me the most common cause is shooting a steady diet of hot loads (of the "game" variety) and that putting a thin coat of grease on the barrel extension can help prevent cracking.

Ed

7. Crunch

Crunch Member

This has discussed in several posts regarding the 870 Competition. Not having the barrel nut very tight was another cause. Drilling a hole or changing receivers are the fixes. Tool tight the nut, grease the extension, clean the gas vents (Comp model), use "trap loads" are the prevention ideas.
    Crunch

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

This ia NOT a competition only issue.

Guy B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.