1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870TC Value?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Found a Remington 870TC at a local gun shop... montecarlo stock and choke tube 30" barrel. It is in about 90% condition.

What is the going price range for these guns? I'm thinking of it for the kids to learn to shoot trap.

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Good basic gun if your kids can stand the recoil?? A little harsh with full loads, 1 oz. may be better.

I would guess, around where I live, a nice TC would go for 400+ at a gun shop.

You might wait until the shoots start or look for one on this site. Good deals and good people.

Regards....Gerald

3. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have 2 1990 models with the long forearm and 30" steprib bbls, Beautiful wood I paid $700 for each of mine and was glad to get them

4. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Targetmaster, the gun in question does have a long forearm, 30" step rib barrel and choke tubes. Do you know what years they made this version of TC? Can you tell by the serial number?

5. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

You can call Remington at 1-800-243-9700 and give them the serial# and they will tell you what year it was made. Some of the later models were overbored and used rem chokes like Remington Trap Full And Remington Super Trap Full. I would also pull out the choke and see if one of these is in it or just a regular Remchoke. They will both fit and I recommend trying both because one of mine came with the Trap chokes but shoots a regular Remington Full the best.

6. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

I have an 870 TC with the extended fore end, straight Trap stock and step rib 30" Rem-Choke Target barrel that was made in 1989. I bought it new in the box a year ago for $700. I've seen nice used examples with all three TRAP (FULL, XTRA FULL & SUPER FULL) choke tubes that would seem to be in the condition you describe sell from $600-$700 in SE Wisconsin.

Recoil on my gun with 1 1/8 oz target loads isn't all that bad, but I agree with Gerald that 1 oz loads would be a lot easier on kids - especially if they shoot a lot. You can also buy a weight or mercury recoil reducer to place in the magazine tube to manage recoil.

In order to find the date on these guns you will need to use the codes stamped on the left side of the barrel. Check out the link I posted to a site where you can decifer the codes. I believe that the 870 TC with Rem-Choke barrel was made from the late 1980's to the earlier to mid 1990's.

Regards,
    Brad

7. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

Targetmaster is correct about the 870 TC bore being larger than typical. I believe that the included TRAP choke tubes are sized in accordance with the larger bore barrel. I believe I've read somewhere that the TRAP FULL choke is very similar in size to the standard MEDIUM RemChoke.

Regards,
    Brad

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

UpNorthMN:

I believe that the gun you are describing is an 870 TC Trap, not an 870TC.

The 870 TC Trap was introduced, along with the 11/87 Premier Trap, in 1987.

The 870TC has "870TC" on the left side of the receiver (opposite side from ejection port.)

The 870 TC Trap has "TC Trap" on the right side of the receiver.

The .745" bore of the 870 TC Trap and 11/87 Premier Trap step rib barrels has .16" of internal choke so as to reduce the bore size to .729" immediately before the choke tube threads. In this way, Remington could use standard Rem Chokes in these barrels.

I have 3 of these barrels. The choke tubes are marked "Trap Full", "Trap Extra Full" and "Trap Super Full". Due to the .16" of internal constriction, the internal diameter of these special chokes is different than standard Rem Chokes.

As memory serves, the Super Full has 55 points, the Extra Full 40 points and the Trap Full 31 points of constriction. Of course, individual barrels may vary.

Do not attempt to shoot these barrels without a choke tube installed.

There was also a fixed full choke version of these barrels. These barrels are highly desirable and are worth $300 or more just for the barrel.

The Super Full chokes work well in games.

As Brad has commented, these barrels seem to me to shoot softer than the standard 870 Trap barrels. My guns are weighted to 8 3/4 pounds and are very pleasant to shoot with 1145 fps 1 1/8 oz. loads.

Ed Ward

9. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Thank you Ed for the detailed overview. Another example of how great this forum is for sorting out information. It is indeed a 870 TC Trap.

The gun came home with me this AM.

It only had the one choke in the barrel, modified. Will standard remchokes fit in this gun?

10. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

Yes, standard remchokes will fit the barrel of your TC Trap. The modified choke that is in the barrel now is most likely a standard remchoke. The modified choke you have will most likely have a very similar constriction, if not the same construction, as the Trap Full that Ed mentions above. Search Gunbroker.com if you want to collect the "Trap" chokes that originally came with the gun. They can be found there with some persistant watching for about $20-$30 each new, and for less if in used condition.

Enjoy your 870 Trap TC, it's fine shooting gun that flies under the radar of most dyed in the wool fixed choke 870 Trap lovers.

Regards,
    Brad

ps. Can we see some pictures of your new gun. It's always nice to see pictures!

11. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I have an "870 TB" with a modified trap fixed choke. It works really good for me. I purchased it brand new in 1971, I was 19 at the time. Paid retail. -----Get this $169.95 + 4% tax in Michigan at the time. ----My how times have changed.

Chuck

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Chuck:

I have a 1980 (I think that was the year I bought it new) 870 TA 30" fixed full with a standard rib that I bought new for $304 and some pennies. I also bought a 30" modified TC trap barrel with it for another $200 or so. I won enough in the early 1980's at turkey shoots to pay for the combo many times over.

When I would shoot the TA, some shooters would comment that it was a "field grade" and that I should move up to a "trap grade" as the 870 TA has a very plain stock.

Another shooter from Louisville, KY had a similar 870 TA and we would sometimes meet at shoots. To make a long story short, we both shot in the 1989 Grand American Handicap event.

As memory serves, I broke a 93 from 22 yards and got back about $100. He broke a 99 from 22 or 23 yards and had the only 99 out of about 5000 entries. There were 3 100x100's but he had the only 99.

All told, he got back over $30,000 from all options. Not bad for a $300 gun.

Yes, we were Kentucky short yardage shooters using plain Jane pump guns.

Those were the days.

Ed Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
870 tc

870 tc trap

remington 870 tc

remington 870 tc trap

remington 870 tc trap for sale

remington 870 tc trap gun is it a good trap gun

remington 870 tc trap value