1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870 youth model 20 gauge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blackstonetrap, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackstonetrap

blackstonetrap TS Member

Gentelman I need your advice. My neighbor's son shoots a youth model 870 20 guage. On new Years Eve day, they went pheasant hunting. The barrel burst about 8"-10" back from the muzzle. The barrel shows sight bulging on left side with rupture on right hand side. He was shooting factory Remington shells(not reloads)20 guage 2 3/4 7.5 shot. He gave me the last shot fired but couldn't find the second to the last shot fired. Barrel has not been cleaned since the burst. I'm convinced that the barrel was not obstructed by mud nor field debris (no evidence of mud on barral at all). I do not have pic's at this time,intend today I will. I feel the barrel was defective. Luckly no one was hurt. I'm going to return the barrel to Remington,in the hopes they will replace the barrel. Not looking for any legal action. Just want your thoughts on what to expect from Remngton prior to my conversation with them.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Tom: You're not going to like my answer but if the shells were factory new then it certainly sounds like an obstruction of some sort, and Remington is likely to say the same thing. Thankfully nobody was injured, right?

Good luck.

-Gary

3. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Was anyone else in the hunting party shooting a 28gauge?...or maybe a dud on the shot prior?

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Good questions.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Stuck wad? I assume this is a choke tube barrel. Does the choke tube look OK, particularly the skirt?

And, more importantly, thank goodness the lad wasn't hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

youth 870 20 gauge for trap shooting