1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870 with a matted rib??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Eric Mirosavich, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

I have the opportunity to purchase an old 870 with a matted rib. I've never seen a matted rib on a Remington? I googled and could only come up with 16ga matted rib guns.

Is this gun rare? Is the quality any better on these the older guns compared to the newer guns?

My oldest 870's are from the 70's, I believe this one is much older.

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

What do you mean my matted? Are you referring to the coating on the rib? And how is that different that what coating is on the barrel?

Bryan

3. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Not matte, matted? I think its spelled "matted"..

I was born in '82, it was before my time.

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Ok, I did a search and found out what a matted rib was, sorry. Also from what I can see it looks like a gun that was made in the mid 50's.

Bryan

5. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Thanks, I couldnt find anything. Apparently, not worth much more that a plain rib 870.

Might hold off on the purchase.

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Yes early to mid 50s, idea was to break up glare worked so-so. those older 870s have some of the best bbls. ever put on a gun. Check to see if it has serially matched bbl. & receiver, as those were the earliest models I've seen. Not worth any more(yet) but they are slicker pumping than current production. just my opinion. FWIW--Ross Puls

7. ML

ML Member

I have a plain barrel 870 Remington that has a matted barrel and the receiver and barrel have the same serial numbers. Made in the 50's.

Regards
    M.L. Hipp

8. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

An 870 misdescribed as having a "matted rib" actually was made with a matted barrel, the matting impressed in a round unribbed barrel. It was catalogued as the ADL grade and included the matting and checkered wood at a few dollars higher price than the basic gun. They are nice variations when in high condition.

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Sometimes the wood appeared to be a higher grade on the 870s with matted barrels. Great hunting guns; the quality is better than current production...if it is in good shape, it is a winner. Best Regards, Ed

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My 1926 Winchester Model 12 had a solid matted rib that was truly a rib soldered onto the barrel but did not have the vents of a ventilated rib.

11. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Eight bore is right.
    I have an old 870 ad with the standard and ADL grade 870's when they came out in 1950.
    The two 870 ADL's that I [12 and 20] have are very good shooters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to put together a matted rib

old remington 870 with knurled rib

remington 870 matted rib

remington 870 matted rib for sale

what is a matted rib barrel on a model 12