1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870 Wingmaster POI need help please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RickA, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickA

RickA Member

Maybe you guys can help someone new to "serious" trap shooting. I own a 1967 Remington Wingmaster ser. 114XXX4V that I have been making some improvments to (Morgan Adj. Pad) so that it will fit me for trap shooting. I have finally gotten to where I'm shooting with some consistancy in the 21-23 range at 16yrds but when I get back to the longer ranges (22-23 yds) I'm having some problems. The gun doesnt have a vent rib and has a fixed full choke. I haven't tested the POI as of yet but intend to after hearing from you guys. So in a nutshell here's the problem:
    1. At closer yardages I squeeze the trigger as I cover the bird, bird breaks no problem (LOL)
    2. At the longer yardages the angles are not as easy and I'm working on learning the lead required BUT the straight aways are killing me. I have to pass the bird thus obliterating it and then fire somewhat blindly because the bird is below my line of sight. I get tons of birds that are dusted hard but dont break. I was told by a very good shooter at the club (used to travel the country and shoot tournaments years ago now 79 and still going strong) that I'm picking my head up a bit as I start my swing. That I can work on, I think but I wonder if I'm doing it to help me see the bird.
    Is there any way to be able to float the bird over the end of the barrel with this gun and what should the POI be for this gun as it came from the factory
    I know this is long and I apologize but I know I can be a better shooter if I can get this worked out. I shot my first money shoot at our club yesterday and broke my first 25 in the 16's and ended up placing second in my Lewis class to win $16 (WOOOHOOOO) LOL.
    By the way I shot a 65/100 from the 23yd line and although this is pretty bad in my defense I have only shot from that distance on 3 other occasions all very informal just for fun and shot worse than that.
    Thanks for any help I can get
    Rick

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Rick,

Until you can save up enought money to purchase a higher POI trap gun, find a fork in the tree and start adjusting. A few of the old timmers will know what you are doing and get a smile on their faces. Plain barrels are very easy to bend in order to get the desired POI.

ec90t

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

no pro hat caps at all, but I find i need to focus react a bit faster and seem to move less, angle. I also hold lower on the house at 22 yards. just focus on the target see it kill it.

4. mike T

mike T Member

RickA,
    find a used 30" vent rib barrel for your 870's. Also find a MC stock and have an adjustible comb cut in it. You then will have the makings of a trap gun. You won't have to conver up the birds to break them and your scores will sky rocket. Also would not be a bad idea to take a lesson from one of the "pros"
    Leo, Phil, Harland, Nora, etc.

mike t

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Rick, It sounds to me like you need to raise your POI somewhat. I used to shoot a 870 wingmaster as well. I still have it too. But it was not worth putting $500 into to make it into a trap shooting gun per say. To get yours to shooting good cheaply I recommond the Wrapid Comb. Its a wrap around the stock and comes with 3 different shims 1/8,3/16,1/4 as well as the soft foam like wrap itself. This will raise your POI as need for singles and for handicaps (a bit lower) as well. Next you need to do something for the recoil. Wingmasters are very light gun and kick a bit. Get a 6oz. weight and install it in the stock. This will make the gun a little out of balance for me so I also installed 6 oz. of weight on the end cap of the gun. The extra 12 total weight really help tame the gun for me. Wrapid comb's # is (503) 371-0245 website is gunsolutions.com. and Jim's Ear & Eye for the barrel weight is (904) 260-9498. Jim has the weights on end caps already or you can add one on yours by drilling a hole and screw it on. Price is about $30 for a new one with weight,less if you add. The Wrap comb is $23 dollars shipped to your home. I believe the end cap price is shipped to your home as well. If you take your pad off the end of your stock you will find the hole you can install the weight in the stock, do cut a round piece of rubber to protect the end bolt,install the recoil reducer and fill in the space again to the recoil pad with some more rubber. Make sure you can get all these pieces out again if you ever need to remove the stock. Good Luck and hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

P.S. How are you doing with the Nova.

6. RickA

RickA Member

Jeff,
    Thanks a bunch for the advice. I solved the recoil problem when I put the Morgan on with the curved pad. Believe me that thing was like magic, No more broken blood vessels and beat to hell shoulder. I actually had one of the guys from the club offer to let me try somekit he had to raise the comb of the gun so I think I'll try it and see how it works.
    As far as the extra weight goes i was considerig this also and was going to be an over the winter project.
    Thanks a bunch for your assistance but you have to tell me one thing.......
    How the heck do you know I have a Nova? LOL
    Rick

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Rick, if your not in to bending the barrel and want to try something really inexpensive, go to about any store and buy a package of moleskin. Be sure to just put it on the comb in layers and don't wrap over the edge as this will cause cast on.

8. Pull & Mark

OK Rick, I'll tell you. But first you have to tell me if you ever bought that green Boyt gun case. LOL LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

9. RickA

RickA Member

Yes I bought it now what gives my best guess is Jeff Mull from one of the other forums
    Rick

10. Pull & Mark

Rick, No problem I will tell you, as it is no secret. All I did was look up your website AKA name in the search box at the top of main page. After you log on TS.com under that is your Welcome and your sign on name. Under that to the left of how many days of threads you want to come up, 3,7,14,30 ect. is the search box. Click on that type in the name you want to look up and I can see all the threads you have logged into this website. It is an excellent idea to do this anytime you want to buy something off a poster here. It will let you know how offen he or she posts. What they are like. A Joker, someone who tries to help others. Or someone who just uses this site to buy or sell. By your posts I knew you were new to the site and trying to be helpfull when you could and you seemed to be a stand-up kind of guy. So I did my best to be helpful to you as you have been to others. Sorry If I had you thinking I had ESP or something else. Someone did the same thing to me when I was a greenhorn on this site as well. I started shooting the 870 wingmaster as well. New recoil pad,& added 8 oz. in the stock and anther 8 oz. on the end of barrel cap. It still seems a bit short in the lenth of pull. But I bought a BT-100 to shoot now. I got the adj. comb and the adj. butt plate add to this gun and it fits me great and I am very happy.I did not want to add this much money to the 870. I hope you to can feel this way with your wingmaster. Best of Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Rick, if you yourself don't know where your gun shoots you can't hope for much help here. There's some good advice here for you if your gun actually does shoot a bit low but everyone's pretty much giving generic advice like: If you are sure it shoots low, then fix it with moleskin. But if you are lifting your head, that should make it shoot high.. . .

But if it shoots a lot low that's not going to help much, likewise if it shoots to the side (and problems with vertical are a hint that it might.)

Find out. There are any number of POI at 13 yards threads which will tell you how to do it, It may shoot high, low, left or right. We don't know which. You don't know which. The only cure it to find out and go from there.

It's clear that you want to improve and are willing to listen. So get started right. You need a place to mount paper and some sort of rest to support the gun with. Someone here just had luck with a ladder. Oh I know, it seems like you should be able to stand and shoot at something and that's probably what you will try first. But you will be wasting your time. Do it right first; you are going to do it anyway so why not start that way?

Neil

12. pw1

pw1 TS Member

I've got an 870 Express that I put a 30" full barrel on, it came with a slug barrel and a high comb and it makes a perfect trap gun. I won the short yardage championship here in Oklahoma several years ago with it. I used to get teased about shooting a 870 and having a Perazzi backup.
    I like a high gun. All of my other trap guns have a high comb. I see a good amout of gap between the two beads and it works for me.
    Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington wingmaster vent rib gaps

reminton 870 shoots low can u bend the barrel to shoot higher

what is the poi of remington 870