1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870 Weight

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pendennis, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

I regularly shoot a Perazzi MT-6 for trap, and occationally my BT-99 Plus. As a project, I took my Remington 870, put on an adjustable stock, and had the 30" barrel fitted for Briley chokes (why the chokes are not Remchokes is a long story).

As you can imagine, the 870 is really light-weight compared to the Perazzi and Browning. I'm considering adding stock and/or magazine tube recoil reducers to add some weight. Any recommendations, emotional outbursts, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
    Dennis

2. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Cheapo way to do it is pretty simple.

Take a spent hull or two, fill 'em with shot, crimp it, and clide it up into the mag tube. Can be a pain without a magazine cutoff switch.

Same deal with the stock, or just skip the hull and fill it with shot.

3. algebra1

algebra1 Member

I used some old spark plug socketts I had lying around filled them with lead shot and taped up the ends.Took out the plug and spring slid into the tube and replaced the spring.Tube will hold up to 3 socketts which can add quite a bit of weight.

4. Dynokick189

Dynokick189 TS Member

If you've seen the mercury recoil reducers that are placed in the unused chamber of an O/U, buy it and put it in the magazine tube - but put it in the FRONT. Cautiously remove the front spring keeper and slide the reducer(orient as you would if it were a shell)in over the spring, then replace the keeper. This puts a bit of weight out front and also does reduce recoil.

I set up a field 870 for turkey hunting this way, and it really works well. Also reduces mag capacity for waterfowling.

You can also put one of those under-barrel, clamp-on mercury reducers in an 1100 or 11-87 20 guage (perfect size). Again, make sure you orient the reducer properly (I've seen lots of these suspended backwards under barrels).

Good luck,

Mike

5. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

There's a guy on E-bay selling screw on cap weights.

6. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

The problem is that these guns are barrel heavy to begin with. I like my gun to balance on the receiver, so adding weight to the buttstock was the only logical option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 870 add stock weight