1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870 Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Steep, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steep

Steep TS Member

I am interested in buying an 870 trap gun. There have been so many different variations with different barrels. Which model 870 would you recommend and with which barrel? Thanks for your help.

Pat

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I would look for an 870 TA, TB, or TC of the 1970's or early to mid 1980's with a 30" fixed full choke. The going rate for one in decent condition is IMO about $400 or so.

Remington in 1987 made a TC Trap with a full length front end slide, cut checkering and a 30" over bored barrel with special choke tubes. These are very nice guns and will probably run about $150 - $200 more.

Ed Ward

3. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Agree with school teacher, get a TB or TC. I picked up a TB with monte carlo stock and 30" full choke barrel. I shoot that gun better than any I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot. Ask around your local club a lot of guys own one and never shoot it. They might be willing to part with it.

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Either the TA,TB, and TC are all good guns. Basically the difference is only how they are stamped and the grade of wood. Some TCs (mostly the later models) have extended forearms which make them nicer to look at. As far as barrels go, look for the early fixed full chokes. They throw great patterns. If you want a screw in choke barrel, if you can find a later model step rib overbore barrel, they are great and do reduce felt recoil some. I bought a Hastings barrel once and it worked well also. There are lots of ribbed 870 barrels on the market. If you want to go the cheap route, just find a good used 870 and buy a trap stock for it. Some people knock 870s but they are built like a Mack truck and a ton of trophies have been won using them!

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I agree the TB and TC's ...I like the fixed ramped style later barrels and especially the extended TC forends..I always had a tendency because of my short arms of racking the slide back and pinching the hell out of my pinky finger between the foreend and the bottom front of the action due to my hold position at the back portion of the wood...the extra length made things a lot more comfortable for me

6. Crunch

Crunch Member

Or you get the 870 CT, the odd child, in the 870 family. It is a single shot trap gun with a gas system in the magazine tube to reduce recoil. Works great and comes with step rib, high comb parallel stock, great 30" barrel, long forearm, hand selected parts, and often beautiful wood.

7. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

I shoot a fixed 30 inch model from the 70s. It came with a MC stock. Couldn't get use to it so I swapped it out for the straight trap stock. That setup is an easy shoot and the older fixed guns pattern beautifully.

8. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Steep,

All above info is good. If you happen to find one with a REMINGTON 34"bbl, sell me the barrel!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
870 trap gun

remington 870 for trap shooting

remington 870 tc trap slide actio

remington 870 trap

remington 870 trap guns

remington 870 trap videos
remongton 870 trap
would a remington 870 be a good gun for trap shooting