1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870 TC, should I buy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I'm looking at an 870 TC with fixed full, ribbed, straight stock, adjustable butt pad I think it is in excellent condition for $350.

This will be used by a new 13 year old trap shooter who has been using a Wingmaster field gun and after 150 practice rounds is hitting in the low 30's out of 50.

Should I buy this and would this be a good starter gun for the 13 year old?

Thanks, Blueraven

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

An 870 TC would be a fine gun provided it fits the young shooter. You can't be squeamish about cutting the pretty stock or adding moleskin or a Beartrap comb pad to make the stock fit if that is what it takes. You didn't say if the Wingmaster field gun has a vent rib or if the stock fits the shooter.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

That sounds like a very good buy. Older TCs in "excellent condition" - to me, that means like new or damned close to it - often bring $500 or more.

Ed

4. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

The Wingmaster he is shooting does not have a vent rib and it's a bit big, but he seems to handle it pretty well.

As for cutting the stock, no way would I do that. That's like taking a '68 Dodge Charger and cutting the fenders out to put wider tires on it.

If the stock needs to be shortened, I'll buy an after market one and cut that one up.

I think I will go ahead and buy it. Even if it doesn't work out for the 13 year old, it is certainly a pretty gun and a nice piece to hang on the wall. Also, I don't think I've seen any 870 that's in excellent condition sale for much lower than $350. I don't think I can lose with this one.

Thanks,
    Blueraven

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Yep buy it, a steal at that price.

Guy B.

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

If "excellent" means 90% or better, as it should, then it's a great deal. If it doesn't work out, you can sell it at a profit.

-Gary

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

As others have stated, very good buy...

Please don't make that 13 year old shoot a full length stock, however. Get it fitted to him.

8. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Well I bought the gun. After a closer look, it turned from excellent condition to good. The blueing looks good and the slide is smooth, however it appears the stock has been altered. It's about 1 1/2" longer than my 870 Wingmaster Field Gun. Take a look at the pics and tell me if you can figure out what if anything was done.

Anyway, I was able to get another $25 off for a sale price of $325.

Also, seeing that the stock has apparently been altered, I will have no problem cutting it down for the 13 year old.

I uploaded more images, but only the last one is posted.
    If some can tell me how show more than one image, I'll post the rest.

Thanks,
    Blueraven

9. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Blueraven,
    If it has a 34" barrel, you should definately buy it and trade me that barrel for the 30" barrel on my 870TC. I would never want the lad to shoot a gun with a barrel that's too long for him. Happy to help.

10. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

It has a 30" barrel and I agree the gun is long enough for him, another 4" and he might tip over.

Blueraven
    [​IMG]

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Stock alteration was to increase length for hand.

12. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Someone has spliced in a section behind the receiver, either to lengthen the pistol grip or to fix a split. The stock and forend are the big differences between a tb and a tc and screwing up the tc stock should have dropped the price dramatically. You probably did o.k. but I wouldn't worry about cutting some more on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.