1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Remington 870 TB

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rufus80, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Just picked up a Remington wingmaster 870TB. Monte carlo stock and a 30" fixed full choke barrel. I bought this for two reasons, first as a backup gun to my Browning XT Trap and second to see if it helps my handicap scores. With my XT my singles scores are low to mid 90's with the last two registered rounds 98 and 98. Win I move back for handicap my scores sink low to mid 80's. I am a short yardage cap shooter also. What are some of your opinions? Think it might work?
  2. School Teacher

School Teacher Active Member

870's are very flat shooting and many a good score has been shot with one. The key as with any gun is gun fit. 870's, often being lighter than other guns, have significant recoil potential.

Adding weight and/or shooting light loads is one way to manage recoil. My 870's are weighted to 9.25 pounds using Staub mercury recoil reducers in the butt. An empty hull filled with shot and crimped tight with JB Weld over the crimp works too.

IMO, the Remington barrels of the 870 TA/TB/TC era were outstanding.

As to how it will perform for you, get some 2 3/4 - 1 -8 loads and try her out.

Mine shoot best when I hug them real tight and press the top of the comb firmly into my cheek.

Ed Ward
  3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Try lifting up the comb on your XT next time before shooting 'caps. Use washers so you don't loose your place on where it is set for singles. I'll bet you are shooting under the targets that you miss.

The 870 will shoot flatter than the XT and only compound the problem you are having.

Last, but not least, practice your 'caps as much as you do your singles.

ss
  4. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I actually see more rib between the beads with the Remington than with the XT. Shouldn't this cause the Remington to shoot higher?
  5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

Rufus80, Yes it should!!!, but the only way to know for sure is to take it to the patterning board and find out. I too have a wingmaster, so welcome to the club. Get the XT to fit and keep shooting it. Wingmasters will break down more often, but are fun to shoot. break em all Jeff
  6. School Teacher

School Teacher Active Member

Rufus:

After reading the responses to this thread, I would like to add a few comments.

If you are shooting in the low to mid 90's at 16 yards, with the last two outings being 98's, the XT is working well for you. Why move to a different gun?

Short handicap is almost like shooting 16's so you may only need to practice more especially with a full choke in the XT.

If you can see rib on the TB between the beads, you may be holding your head too high. Even with a step rib barrel, I can get down on my unaltered 870 TB Monte Carlo stock and not see rib. I hold the pistol grip tight and cam the gun into my cheek without canting and it shoots exactly where I look.

If you see rib, the gun will shoot high.

As to the dependability of an 870, I have shot them for over 30 years with minimal failures. I carry an extra firing pin, firing pin spring and a backup 870. Over the years I have replaced 1 firing pin, 3 or 4 firing pin springs and three sets of action bars (caused by hard extraction of poorly re-sized and/or steel heads on cheap hulls).

All in all, I would stick with the XT. Practice more on handicap and, as my old coach used to say, pick up your timing as you move back. See the bird and then smash it.

Ed Ward
  7. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Currently using a IM on singles and I switch between an IM and Full for caps. Just got the Remington on Saturday afternoon so have not had a chance to shoot/pattern. Just standing in front of a mirror and mounting the gun I see more rib than my XT. I have raised the comb on the Xt and it has improved my scores. The problem is always having to raise/lower between events. One question on the XT, i have used the top and bottom barrel for caps and not seen much difference, which one would you use.
  8. bkt514

bkt514 Member

Are you tired after the 16"s. that has happened to me, so I now shoot very light loads from the 16 in an effort to reduce fatigue. Just a Thought, after a very hot weekend of shooting.
  9. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I shoot 1-1/8 ounce at 1145fps for singles. Depends on which club I shoot at sometimes caps are the second event and sometimes it is the third, does not seem to make a difference in the score.
  10. 1100 classic trap shooter

1100 classic trap shooter TS Member

Rufus80, I shoot an XT also with the same problem you have. Shooting 90's on singles and 80's on caps at 20 yard line. Have been shooting IM with bottom barrel for singles and top barrel with full for caps. I raised my comb 1/16" made me see a little rib between the beads (trying to get used to that). Gonna try reversing my barrels, top with IM for singles and bottom with full for caps. I am thinking that the bottom barrel should shoot higher since it is angled a little, I'm I correct?
  11. fishguts

fishguts Member

I would try the IM or MOD choke for handicap, if you're at the 20/21 yrd. line.

Wayne
  12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

IMOD will work fine nearly to the fence...it does for me at least...pattern your gun from each barrel and with the chokes you plan to use...you'll be surprised sometimes how the POI can vary ..
  13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

Rufus, Most shooters prefer the bottom barrel first as there is a more direct line to your shoulder for the recoil. This generally reduces barrel jump and abit less face slap for most shooters. Some shooters have to shoot one barrel over the other if they have fixed chokes and want to use a certain choke for that event, while other shooters want to wear there barrels evenly and not place so many shots though just the bottom barrel. Hope this helps you make your choice on what you would like to do. break em all Jeff
  14. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

More of this stuff!!!! Martinpicker
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.