1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870 TB vs. TC

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've been searching through old posts for one I think described the differences between the 870 Trap TB and 870 Trap TC. Perhaps I read it someplace else. Regardless, I'm interested in a brief description of the differences.

I've looked at some of each online (GunBroker and TS.com) and on the surface it seems the differences are in the stock (Monte Carol or not).

Thanks for any input.

Larry

2. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I had an 870 TB back in the 90's & shot with a guy that had a TC. Mine had a Fleur d Lis{sp?} pattern stamped into the wood & his had what appeared to be checkering that was hand cut into a better grade of wood. The metal stuff looked the same on both guns. They were late 70's or early 80's vintage. John

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The 870 TC (1950 - 1980 or so) and the 870 TC Trap (1987 t0 1990 plus) have significant differences.

The older 870 TA, TB and TC nomenclature meant an 870 with trap dimensions. The A, B and C related to the quality of the wood. The A and B had pressed checkering while the C had cut checkering. I have an 870 TA and TB. The TA wood looks like a field model while the TB has outstanding wood. The older TC's had truly outstanding wood.

The 870 TC Trap, one of which I have and bought new in 1987, has highly figured wood, enlongated front slide, cut checkering, over bored barrel and choke tubes.

My 870 TA and TB have monte carlo stocks and my 870 TC Trap has a straight stock. That said, I believe that both the older series TA, TB and TC and the newer 870 TC Trap could be had with either stock type. I believe that the a special single shot 870 Competition model was only offered with the monte carlo stock dimension.

Ed Ward

4. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

Hi Guys,

I think that Ed is pretty much right on the money with his information with one exception that I know of. The single shot 870 Competition was available with the straight trap stock. I have one with the original straight comb trap stock. They may also have been available with a Monte Carlo comb, but I have yet to see one with original wood like that. The single shot 870 Competition also shares the elongated fore end wood of the 870 TC Trap. It also has highly figured wood with a matte finish like the 870 TC Trap, but does not have a grip cap like the 870 TC Trap. Further, the single shot 870 Competition has a matte blued finish on the top of the receiver.

Brad

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

The older type TC has a smaller pistol grip than the TA ot Tb. The fancier TGC wood was heavier than the TA and TB wood, so they lessened the weight by taking wood out of the pistol grip.

The best barrel in my opinion were on the newer type 870's with the larger bore. If you can locate one with no choke tubes you will have a barrel that is a smoke pole. You can keep the barrels with Rem chokes as I believe the Rem choke barrels were not very good. Just my opinion.
    Steve Balistreri

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The older vintage TCs have better barrels than the same vintage TBs. Back in the day nefarious folks bought one each and switched barrels then sold the TC receiver with the TB barrel. You'll find a lot of TC's with TB barrels. You can tell the TB barrels as they have several production line stamps. The TC's barrels will have a proof stamp only.

It doesn't mean that the TB barrel is bad and it may just be as good but the TC and TD barrels got special quality attention. I would agree that the more modern TBs and TCs with larger bores will be softer shooters and more desirable. The older 870 is not known for being a soft shooter.

I've had a half dozen of the 1960's versions of the 870tc and sold probably over 100 of both models as a dealer........ none of them had tapered ribs. Just my experience. Good luck, Barry.

7. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks all for the advice.

Larry

8. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

9. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Shootlow, this 870 is for sale now on ts.com. Is this the type of "solid rib section" you mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
870tc trapshooters
remington 870 tb trap

remington 870 tc

remington 870 tc trap
remington tc vs tb
reminton 870 tb
remiongton 870 tc trap
remongton 870 tc or tb