1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870 Stock refinishing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Calkidd, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I have a 870 express that was given to me by an old neighbor. It was pretty rough, but eventually I cleaned it up with the intentions of using it as my duck hunting gun. Well long story short it never did end up being used until my daughter has shown an interest in trap shooting.

Just like a typical 870 field gun it shoots really flat, so I bought a M/C stock and forearm off of eBay for really cheap. Of course I bought this stock with the anticipation of having it refinished. The stock has seen some use and there is a good ding on the bottom portion. So I emailed a few people that have been suggested on this forum to refinish the stock. I also remember a post that some had their stock refinished for $150.

Well, needless to say I found out this wasn't going to be so easy. I received a few emails back which read like this:

<i>Bryan,
    it's tough to give any kind of estimate without seeing the scratch or the finish. $250 for a complete refinish of stock and forearm.
    </i>

I can understand needing to see the stock for an estimate, but $250 was a little more than I anticipated.

Second email, this one kind of blew me away not only because of the cost, but it seemed condescending.

<i>Hello Bryan,
    Its expensive to refinish and porbably costs more than what you gave for the gun! However, it takes just as much labor to do a 870 stock and forend as it does a Perazzi.
    Cost is 325.00 + return shipping.
    </i>

Third email:

<i>Bryan, if the stock has the pressed checkering we can't refinish it. We have found that you can buy new wood cheaper than you can refinish the original.</i>

What? It can't be refinished with pressed checkering? An again I am being told it is cheaper to buy new wood. So I am assuming the cost to refinish will be over $300.

Can any one shed some light on this and is there any one out there that can refinish a stock. I am not looking for work to be done on a Kolar or Perazzi, just trying to clean up this gun for my daughter.

Bryan

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Bryan:
    Here's an idea, most girls, women, like stocks in different colors. Go to your local maaco, or paint and body, and tell them it's for your daughter. Tell them you will strip the stock and forend, how much will they charge you to paint it any color you want, and then have them put that auto body gloss sealer over it. I did this at Maaco and the manager did it for free. I bought him a lunch and the stock looked beautiful. It looked like candy apple red like the old mustangs in the 60's. Just a thought.
    Steve Balistreri

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Bryan:
    A friend of mine had a Beretta done the same way in purple, it looked fantastic.
    Steve

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Steve thanks for the reply. This might be an idea. I can paint and I can remove the finish. Hell, I might just refinishing this stock myself. I was just hoping for a nice glossy finish for her.

Bryan

5. shrek

shrek Active Member

Bryan,

If you have the auto painting place do it and they put a final finish of the clearcoat over it it will be glossy and a hard protective finish too.

And having a custom painted stock in your daughter's favorite color may help her interest in the sport.

I have re-done one 870 wingmaster stock and fore end my self, the hardest part was stripping off the original finish. If someone knows a finish remover that works reasonably well on 870 stocks I'd like to know, I have another fore end that is partially stripped.

I also refinished a winchester 1200 stock which had pressed checkering.

I used a material to refinish them called pro-custom oil gunstock finish that I got from brownells. It did not come out quite as glossy as factory, I'd call it a semi gloss, but it was certainly an nice and acceptable finish. I think I put between 5 and 7 coats on the stocks over about a weeks time.

You have to be careful when putting the finish over the pressed checkering so it doesn't fill it in and look bad is the key, and any sanding should be avoided to the press checkering area.

I did get several nice comments on the stocks after I refinished them. The rem one in particular had some color in the original finish to even up and match the parts I soppose, but I found some really pretty grain under it when I got it removed. Not sure why they wanted to cover that up...? It's not hidden now.

6. trapman69

trapman69 Member

PM sent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
refinish remington 870

refinishing 870 express stock

refinishing a remington 870 stock
refinishing remington 870 stock

rem 870 express stock refinishing

remington 870 express stock refinish