1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870 problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Remstar311, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Try loosening the metal nut that tightens the forearm to the action bars. Do you have to push forward hard to get the bolt to lock up in the first place?

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Sounds like the locking lug is not dropping down, check it for crud--a pellet--etc.. also check the notch in the bbl extension,--- probably just dirty somewhere. Ross Puls

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Check for crud build-up and do not loosen the nut that holds the action bar tube to the wooden slide. Loosening this nut will allow the front slide to feel loose in your hands.

My 870's (4 12 gauge) do not like steel bases ammo and sometimes are hard to cycle. Check to see it you have this problem when shooting premium ammo with brass heads. If Brass headed ammo cycles smoothly, forget the steel headed ammo. Over time, I have replaced 3 or 4 sets of action bars that either had the weld come loose or where one of the action bars broke.

If shooting reloads, make sure that your ammo is properly resized.

Ed Ward

4. shrek

shrek Active Member

might be a burr edge on the back of the notch on the barrel extension. I have seen a few high mileage 870's with the problem,

a little work with a grinder stone in a dremel to take it off and polish it made the problem go away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.