1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870 Express Magnum-SOLD

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by senorric, Sep 5, 2013.

1. senorric

senorric Member

0   0   0

What makes this a "Special Purpose" and not a regular Express Magnum? Photos don't show a difference. Thanks ----

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I can attest the SP are different. The finish is much more smooth and durable. The action is more smooth and they retain the resale value better...although it is hard to convince people there is a difference. It should be noted I have no connection to this person selling the gun, just fact from somebody who has owned several of both models.

3. senorric

senorric Member

0   0   0

Yes, but this gun is marked "870 Express Magnum" per the photo and not "Special Purpose". How does one know what it is? ---

4. deercreek

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

senorric.....Very good point as I did not look at the photo close enough. I went with the thread title and description. These is indeed some needed clarification by the seller ASAP.

5. senorric

senorric Member

0   0   0

And "only fired twice on the trap field"? Two pulls of the trigger or two visits to the trap field with hundreds of rounds each time? Or something in between? Lots of unknowns here. A little more clarity and description would be helpful to potential buyers ----

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The original Special Purpose guns had a chrome plated bore and a matte blued finish. The trigger guard was metal. The barrels were matte versions of the Wingmasters externally, except the ribs have no anti-glare embossing.

The Express guns have a very rough matte finish, probably from coarser media like sand blasting instead of glass beading, and it's parkerized black, not blued. Their trigger guards are now plastic. The bore lacks chrome plating, but so do the Wingmasters, etc. The barrels are turned only enough to clean up the metal before blasting, so they actually are a bit heavier than an 870 SP or Wingmaster, but I doubt anyone can tell this by feel. But by measurement, they weigh a wee bit more. The interior finish is also rougher but they do break in.

Another big difference is cost. The Express guns are substantially less expensive than the Special Purpose guns were. Some of the Special Purpose guns cost more than Wingmasters. The direct Express competition are the Mossberg 500 and 835, depending on shell length.

The only real complaint about the Express guns is that the rougher finish traps moisture. The workaround is to oil or use something like the Birchwood Casey Sheath to wipe down the parts prior to going afield and make sure the gun is dry before storing. Also pay attention to maintaining an oil film inside the receiver. This is a moot point if the Express model has the camo film dipped finish, though some undipped parts will still need an oil film. Note that the Special Purpose finish is also prone to rusting if not kept oiled, but it is a little less susceptible than the Express.

Some have complained about not liking the plastic trigger guard, but, so far I have not found any issues with breakage. Keep in mind its competition also has plastic trigger guards.

Please do not take this as criticism of the Express model. It was designed to make the 870 more affordable to more people. It is a basic field gun. I do not own an Express, because I went the 1187 route instead. But for a basic field gun I would not reject an Express.

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

0   0   0

I also shoot a SP in the field. They are of a different finish and fit also. Don't see where the poster is implying it is more than it is. He told you how much it was shot. The Express is what it is. You would be hard pressed to kill it. There is nothing on there that can't be replaced. Not a target gun but certainly good enough for a new shooter.

8. deercreek

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Spanky....the poster fixed the orininal post as it was incorrect but failed to admit it was incorrect, so I can see where your third sentence comment came from. The original post also did not list a round count, just said it was used for trap a couple of times. I would imagine it was an honest mistake but one should explain it, own up to it, and be precise when selling something.

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

To me it wouldn't make much difference which mdl it is---Both mdls are killers and for $300.00 del is a deal----Use it---rust it, wipe it down after each use and you can't kill the gun.
    10 yrs from now buy another----JMO----SJB

10. senorric

senorric Member

0   0   0

While now corrected in the subject title as an Express Magnum, it was originally advertised as something it was not, an 870 Special Purpose.

11. Robster7

Robster7 Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0