1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870 comp.date of manufacture?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jrb100, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I just picked up a 870 competition trap yesterday for a fair price.It had a little rust and was not cleaned and oiled to often ,so I took it apart and removed rust and gave it a good cleaning.I will see if the gas system is working later today by taking a few shots with it.The gun is unaltered.It has a serial number that starts V9496.I was wondering what year this would be.

Thanks,
    joe

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you think the barrel is original to the gun, there is a two-letter code on the left side at the rear of the barrel that will get you close to the gun's production date. I have a chart that converts that code to the month and year the BARREL was made.

Ed

3. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I just picked up a 870 competition trap yesterday for a fair price.It had a little rust and was not cleaned and oiled to often ,so I took it apart and removed rust and gave it a good cleaning.I will see if the gas system is working later today by taking a few shots with it.The gun is unaltered.It has a serial number that starts V9496.I was wondering what year this would be.

Thanks,
    joe

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you think the barrel is original to the gun, there is a two-letter code on the left side at the rear of the barrel that will get you close to the gun's production date. I have a chart that converts that code to the month and year the BARREL was made.

Ed

5. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Joe, get your barrel code and go to the Remington Society website above and you should be able to figure it out.

6. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

the best way is call 1-800-243- 9700 That is Remingtons phone number and they have a date of firearm manufactuare, Just give them the serial # and they tell you all about your gun.

7. jrb100

jrb100 Member

Thanks everyone.
    According to remington website it was made in 1979.It must be an early model because I thought they were released in 1980 or 1981.

thanks,
    joe

8. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Joe if you call the # I listed they will tell you the month and year and anything else you want to know about it. I call them everytime I get a Remington.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

manufacture date remington 870 wingmaster