1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870 comes apart

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oz, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oz

1oz Member

Out Crow hunting Remington 870 blows apart , Factory shells . Hope to find out what could cause this .Blew out where you feed shells from the bottom . Damages trigger assembly houseing , mag tube .Really wasn't to concerned with gun as we were addressing minor wounds and counting our blessings 3 of us in the same blind.Brass shell head was flat and looked as if folded over.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Barrel Obstruction???

Double charge shell???

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Remington shells I hope!!

4. 1oz

1oz Member

no barrel obstruction
    Federal Factory shells no reloads

5. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Was on a dove hunt in the late 1960's. Friend had a factory shell somehow go off in the magazine tube of an Ithaca Model 37 that he had bought new. Literally "sprung" the whole action. Ithaca wanted the gun and shells. The dealer he bought it from sent it back to Ithaca and Ithaca reimbursed my friend. Only injury was a slight burn rash on friend's arm. Never did find out what ignited the shell in the magazine.

6. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Pictures??

7. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Sounds like you had a shell go off in the magazine tube. I have heard this happen before. Has nothing to do with reloads or factory shells.

Bryan

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The magazine tube damage was a concern right away. Trigger assembly. If there is no hole in the barrel, it had to go off in the magazine tube. Or the chamber opened up at ignition and blew back and down. Was the receiver bolt still on the slots in the cocking arms of the forend? It might be possible if there was a close barrel obstruction that the bolt let go from the locked position. It would have been laying loose in there. I think it is to wide to just fall out the bottom.

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Send the gun and shells to Remington with a letter telling them what happened.
    Steve Balistreri

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Show us some pics and you'll get better answers.

11. 1oz

1oz Member

No pictures . I talked to hunting partner last night . He was going to take to gun to local smith .He wasn't to concerned with the lost as he said I've had this gun since 79. Guns can be replaced I think this shook him up realizing how lucky he was not hurt seriously . If it cost very much I'll junk it and sell the barrel for 50 bucks was his words. Anyway we are long distance hunting partners 100 miles apart . Once he finds out what happened i will pass forward . You just never know we both have shot hundreds of thousands of shells over last 20 -25 years with nothing like this happening. It was not operater era.

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would take that advice and send it to Remington with a couple shells

Regards from Iowa

Gene

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Definitely caused by a release trigger - if not on the gun, must have been one nearby.

14. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

It's Bush's fault.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Global Warming has affected the metal causing it to weaken and thus come apart. We should've listened to Al.

Matt

16. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Contact the DHS immediately.....this definitely has all the indicators of terrorist activity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.