1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870 Classic Trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tburrey, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tburrey

tburrey Member

Just bought one of these 870 Classic Traps new today and plan on shooting it tomorrow. Any comments on this gun pro or con? POI info etc. Thanks. Tom

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

My old wingmaster shoots pretty flat. About the same as my Bt-100 about 60/40 or so. Hope this helps and Good Luck tomarrrow. Break-em all. Jeff

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Great reliable gun etc. But I find that they ah...kick. Run one ounce loads and all should be good. Easy to lighten the trigger pull; just change springs.

4. tburrey

tburrey Member

Appreciate all the comments on the 870 will be leaving shortly to pattern the gun and shoot a couple of rounds to see how she does! Thanks. Tom

5. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Comments; the worst thing is, I have seen two of them in two diferent shops.....and I want to buy one, even though I have a good supply of trap guns, more than I can shoot now.

The stock dimensings and sight picture are similar to my 870TB, 870TC and 1100 Classic Trap which all shoot 60/40 for me.

6. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I love mine....fondle, fondle...
    Steve

7. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i love mine too,got a set of comp n choke ported tubes for her & 1 oz loads and she tamed rite down(recoil)found mine to be a flat shootin gun.mark

8. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I really like mine. Prefer it to the 1100 trap, because I got the 870 first. May have been different if I had bought the 1100 first, but the working of the auto action is a bit of a distraction having started with the 870 trap. With the 870 you just put a shell in and the glass-smooth pump drives it home. To me there is no noticeable recoil difference between the two, and I shoot them both interchangeably.

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have shot 870's for years and love them. Recoil can be an issue. It can very easily sneak up on you.

I would advise shooting 1 oz. loads or 1 1/8 oz “light” (1145 fps) or “extra-light” (1120 fps) trap loads. Stay away from the “heavy” (1200 fps) and “handicap” (1235 fps) loadings.

If you do shoot the “heavy” or “handicap” loadings, they will pound you due to the relatively light weight of the 870. At the end of a 100 bird or 200 bird event, you may realize that you are not having fun any more.

To reduce felt recoil, you can add a 4 oz. or a 6 oz. mercury recoil reducer to the butt with ease. The mercury, which runs trough a baffle upon recoil, may or may not reduce felt recoil. The extra weight will tame some of the felt recoil.

I have wore out several firing pins and firing pin springs. This won't happen for a few years with a new gun. However, it does happen from time to time if you shoot a lot. These are easy to change. I always keep an extra set with me.

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

870s are VERY reliable(especially thhe older ones) They do kick(as do most other pump guns). I advise a custom stock of at least some modification. I have a Kick EZ on one of mine, and installed a rubber check piece. I shoot 1 oz. loads which helps a great deal. Stay away from the Nitros and Heavy target loads. They will rattle your cage in ANY pump gun. Very afforable trap gun and many people have won a BOAT LOAD of trophies with them.

11. Landshark

Landshark Member

I bought a slightly used one and I love it. It's a flat shooter, but I am learning to shoot it that way. The wood on these guns range from nice to frikin' awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

recoil reduction for rem 870 classic trap