1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Remington 870 barrel on Sportsman 58- Drill jig?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a jig to drill the gas holes in an 870 barrel so that it can be used on a sportsman 58 that they'd be interested in selling me? Or any leads on where I might find one?
  2. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Maybe Brownell's? Bob
  3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Apparently they sold a jig kit in the early 2000s, but not any more.
  4. wlc

wlc Member

I have done a few on a Bridgeport without a jig. If you have a 58 barrel use it to establish the correct angles then spot the hole with a center drill before drilling.
  5. Donnie 870

Donnie 870 TS Member

How about a IC barrel with 2 factory beads. It was made by rem for a wards gun model600a i think. Barrel also fits 870-58-878. 12 ga, as new. Been in closet for many years. PM if interestd we can talk. Thanks----Donnie
  6. goony

goony Member

I put the 870 barrel on the gun and marked the holes through the gas ports. Then I inserted the proper size drill bit in the 58 barrel and checked the angle of the holes. Mark the hole with a good center punch. Start with a good bit, I broke off a bit and it was a real booger to get out and finish the hole. It worked fine. I have been using an unaltered 870 barrel on my 58 to shoot trap with so I don't have to pick up the empties.

Good luck
  7. Heavy Duck

Heavy Duck TS Member

I'm unable to help with the jig, but I have two Remington 58 12-gauge, Vent Ribbed, Full choke barrels; one 30” plus a 28” available if you’re interested. Bores are smooth and without pits and the vent hole are clean, but the exteriors are only about 85-90% blue. The 30” is missing its center bead. I used them on a 1972-era 870 Wingmaster for years after the 58 was sold. I placed a 1x1 inch piece of aluminum foil between the barrel and the magazine tube to prevent the gases and residue from marring the bluing. It worked okay but I rarely use the 870 or the 58's barrels anymore. Let me know if you’re interested.
    v/r: Gil
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.