1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 870 Barrel Compatability

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John Beiser, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Beiser

John Beiser TS Member

I am still trying to decide if I want to get into the sport of Trap shooting and start spending a little money on a new gun. Right now the only shotgun I have is a remington 870 express synthetic with an 18" barrel. Its mostly a home defense shotgun but my question is could I buy a different barrel and put it on to use this shotgun as a make do trap gun until I decide if I want to drop over $1000 on a good dedicated trap gun. Any input would be helpful. THanks in advance. John Beiser

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Cant make a silp purse out of a pigs ear

3. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

Any 870 barrel of the same gauge will fit. You can put a 28-30" on it and it will be ok. you will want to put a different stock on it otherwise it will shoot really flat and you will have to cover the target up to hit it. You dont have to spend 1000 buck on a gun to shoot trap either. I have a high dollar gun but I still shoot my $200 pawnshop 870tb better than anything else. If you keep your eyes open you can pick up an older 870 trap for 200-400.
    -john

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

John, yes you can make it somewhat do with a barrel. It will definetly get you accustomed to shooting targets which is what your desiring at this point. There is absolutely no reason to spend that $1000 plus at this point. Find a barrel and enjoy the game. I did have a friend with a barrel I believe a 28" modified that wanted $75 for it. Let me know if interested.

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Light contour barrels will not fit...the magazine ring is not in the right place...shouldn't matter anyway as they are mostly 21" or 25".

A Boyd's stock and a good 30" modified trap or full trap barrel will give you a quite suitable gun and provide a good learning tool for the game. After 36 years in the sport and quite a few "good" trap guns from Winchester, Browning, Daley, and others, I still go to the 870 TB when there is a trophy, meat or a buddy shoot to win. If I'm on, it makes those ink spots, and after 300,000 plus rounds, has only had a firing pin and one trigger part replaced.

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

IIRC As long as your 870 is not a special purpose all the barrels should fit as long as they are not for a special purpose. Im thinking yours might be with an 18" barrel. It would say special purpose on the reciever. .

Nick

7. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

There is a guy selling a synthetic monte carlo stock on ebay right now which would give you a higher point of impact for trap shooting once you get a longer barrel.
    Make sure it is a standard l.o.p not a youth stock before you bid on it.

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Oops. Did really mean to say "special purpose" instead of light countour. Thanks for setting the record straight. (Should have known it as I have a 20 special purpose and had to get just that same kind of barrel.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does the remington 870 trap shoot flat

will remington 870 light contour barrels fit 870 express shotguns