1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**REMINGTON 870 28" BBL**

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Tracer, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tracer

Tracer Member

0   0   0

I have for sale a Remington 870TC 12 Ga. Wood is really nice with no cracks. Only scratch is at the top of the comb next to the butt pad. The pictures really don't do it justice as they show specks on the iron and wood and there is none on the gun. The new case that is displayed can go with the gun for an additional $100. I got it on a trade with some other stuff and shot it a few times at the club. All areas on the inside of the action look like new. Price is $450 to your FFL.
    tracer_2008_030319.jpg

tracer_2008_030320.jpg

tracer_2008_030321.jpg

tracer_2008_030322.jpg

2. Tracer

Tracer Member

0   0   0

My mistake on the bbl. It has a 30 inch bbl with screw in chokes. I guess I was thinking of my Rem 1100 which has a 28 inch bbl. Chokes are full, Modified, and Improved Cyl.
    Thanks, Del

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Del McCubbin?

4. Tracer

Tracer Member

0   0   0

No, Del Miesner.

5. Tracer

Tracer Member

0   0   0

Case is sold pending funds.
    Thanks, Del

6. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

0   0   0

I've never seen a TC with impressed checkering and a flat rib choke tube barrel? Looks like a field stock

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

My thoughts exactly.

Ed

8. Tracer

Tracer Member

0   0   0

I have never seen one before. What is it supposed to look like? It does say
    870TC on the reciever.
    Thanks, Del

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

"TC" represents the grade of the gun. Older 870 trap guns came in "TA," "TB" and "TC" grades with "TC" being the nicest. They had cut checkering instead of impressed checkering like that of the wood on your gun. Also, all Remington trap guns had either a straight-combed stock or one with a Monte Carlo comb; in either case, the comb was level to the bore where yours has drop from the wrist to the butt. Your gun might be a "TC" but someone changed the wood to a lesser grade - as Joe suggested, it probably came off a field-grade gun.

Also, most "TC" guns had a stepped rib on the barrel. Yours does not, again suggesting that the barrel was changed. I will say that late "TCs" had flat ribs as I bought a "Target" barrel from Remington a few years ago and it had a flat rib. Regardless, a "TC" of the vintage of your gun would have had the stepped rib. On the left side of the barrel just forward of the receiver there will be a two-letter code that can be interpolated to the manufacturing date of the barrel. It probably is of a later vintage than the receiver.

Regardless of all that, it can still be a great trap gun. You could buy replacement "TC" wood or a Jack West stock set for it, which would give it a Monte Carlo stock albeit in black synthetic but it would function fine and have an adjustable comb to boot.

Ed

10. 6chuter

6chuter Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Also, didn't some of the TCs or TBs have the receiver serial number on the barrel?

11. Tracer

Tracer Member

0   0   0

Thanks for the info. I went back to the guy I got it from and he said he had changed the bbl to the one with the chokes shortly before I got it. He had the origional bbl which he gave me. It is a 28" length. I found the letters on it ahead of the receiver. They are RV together and an N spaced 1/2 inch away. He said he didn't change the wood so it may have been changed before he got it. Welllllll, I guess that changes the value. I am going to sell it with the 28" bbl. It shows it is MOD. Don't know what to ask for it. Wish I knew more about it before posting it. Thanks for the help. I like to be accurate about what I am selling.
    Del

12. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

0   0   0

Date code for "R" November "V" 1979.

13. Tracer

Tracer Member

0   0   0

**REMINGTON 870 28

Thanks Whiz-bang. I am thinking about reposting it as it is getting a little confusing and I need to change the price when I find out what it is "really" worth. I want to put a reasonable price on it. I want to say to all of you, that I appriciate all the knowledge about guns out there in Trap-land and your ability to express it in a way that is upbuilding.

14. Tracer

Tracer Member

0   0   0

**REMINGTON 870 28

Decided to repost this thread with proper information.
    Thanks, Del

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.