1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 788 trigger qestion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimborn, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

I have an old 788 22-250. Shoots great, but would like a better trigger on the thing. Can they be adjusted??? Any ideas? Thanks

2. Wyoharris

Wyoharris TS Member

Yeah, I kinda like these ugly old things too. They can be smithed some. Best way is a new Timney trigger. Some of them shoot well enough to justify the cost!

3. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I bought a spring kit out of Brownells, worked great.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

dont mess with them the old posts will make them un safe they work as is just change your pull they are a crisp and LEAVE it at that go slow and it WILL work

5. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Talk with a highly reputable gunsmith and the trigger can be worked to be as good as any other hunting rifle. I had two that were both at 1 3/4 lbs. Plenty light for hunting. No creep either. Greg Tanel(Gre-Tan Rifles)did both mine and he is an awesome rifle builder.

6. texasbilly

texasbilly Member

About 30 years ago, there was an article in one of the gun magazines that explained how to make the standard Remington 788 trigger into an adjustable trigger. At the time I altered several such triggers, and they worked great. The bad news is that I no longer have the article, so you will need to do a search through the typical publications of that time (e.g. Shooting Times, Guns and Ammo, etc). I am certain that if you can find the article, and if you make the alterations, you will be pleased with the outcome.

Bill

7. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

Texasbilly,
    I also used that same article and did several adj triggers for myself and friends. I might still have that article, but could also check the one a friend of mine still has. Really was not hard to do, and with good results. Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.