1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 700 Magnum Action Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7remmag, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7remmag

7remmag Member

I am going to purchase a Remington 700 XCR II in 375 H&H in about a month and I'm going to be purchasing a nice laminated wood or walnut stock for it as a more appealing stock as well as a possibly better stock than the synthetic one provided. The problem I've been running into is that I'm under the assumption that the .375 H&H will be built on a magnum action as compared to a long action and I cannot find a company that manufactures 700 magnum action stocks only short or long action stocks. Is this a question for Remington? or should I expect to have to purchase a long action stock and simply sand it to match the dimensions of the magnum action? I would really like to hear that Remington produces their long action with enough room to provide for a 375 H&H, but I do not have high hopes for that answer. Any input at all on this matter would be found extremely helpful.

Sincerely,

Kyle

2. mag410

mag410 Active Member

A Remington Long Action is a Magnum action. The magnum caliber 700's have a thicker recoil lug and the barrel diameter is a bit larger than on the standard calibers.

If you buy a standard Long action stock you will have to inlet the recoil lug area and sand the barrel channel in the fore end.

If you are going to change stocks any way, you can save about $120 by buying a REM 700 SPS-DG 24" 375 H&H instead of the XCR.

Michael Goines

3. 7remmag

7remmag Member

I've never heard of that model is it still in production? The only reason I was going with the XCR II was because that's the only model I could find that was chambered in 375H&H.

4. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Kyle,

Zanders Sporting goods in Sparta IL is showing 30 of the REM 700 SPS-DG 24" 375 H&H in stock. I do not know if any of the other distributers have stock. Your FFl dealer can check for you.

Michael

5. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

It is my understanding that all Remington 700 long actions are the same length and will fit the same basic stocks.

Have had several restocked with McMillan fiberglass and other stocks with no problems.

Had my first Remington 700 which started life as a 30-06 redone by Fred Sinclair (100 years ago) into a 340 Weatherby, which is the same length as the 375 H&H. Used a McMillan stock. No problems.

6. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

I'm just curious. Why a 375 H&H?

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Unless he's a traditionalist, I'm wondering the same thing. The .375 Remington Ultra Mag is currently available in many Model 700s and is ballistically superior to the H&H. I have a 7mm RUM, 300 RUM, .338 RUM and a 300 SAUM - all three are insanely accurate and the brass doesn't stretch itself into a "bright ring of death" like belted cases do.

Ed

8. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

Two things.
    All the new calibers are great,BUT, if you are going to a place requiring air travel the 375 H&H is best, because if your gun and ammo get separated, some one there always has H&H ammo. If you less common calibers or wildcats and your ammo goes missing,you have a nice boat anchor instead of a nice rifle.. And beleive me it does go missing too often.
    The 700 has a silver soldered bolt handle, I'd get it tig welded on a dangerous game rifle.
    Just for you thoughts
    Jack

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've always been more of a traditionalist when it comes to cartridges. The 375 H&H has proven itself over and over again to be a round capable of taking down any land animal on this planet. Why try and re-invent the wheel when it isn't necessary.

ss

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Same reason guys have long loved the many Weatherby rounds. You get to shoot 25 more grains of powder to pick up another 100 to 200 FPS. I have never shot the 375 remington Ultramag across a crony I have no idea what factory ammo really travels at. I suspect it will not be as fast as stated.
    I shoot 300 Grain bullets. The diffrence between the 375 Ultramag and the 375 HH is not enough to justify the extra recoil to me as well as the added cost of reloading. Less then 100 FPS at the max top loads of both rounds.

I do not shoot a big magnum to shoot light weight bullets.

My 375 HH kills elk with boring regularity out to my longest kills to date of over 450 yards. Wack! One of the few guns I have seen that really tips an elk. I guess if I didn't reload and I didn't own a big magnum, I would buy the 375 Ultramag just because it does give more velocity on paper then the HH but it's isn't enough to make a diffrence to me as it is.

If I was going to shoot 250 grain bullets I would shoot my 358 Norma as they go 2700 plus in my gun and for whatever reason the recoil seems a bit more manageable.

If you go look at all the ballistic tables from one big magnum to the next big magnum you are really only talking about 100 FPS. If you shoot factory loaded ammo your shells will vary by over 50 FPS from one to the next. Then when you look at barrel length you will see the test guns are all 26 inch barrels but the hunting guns they build will oten have 24 inch barrels! Just enough shorter to reduce the velocity of the round by the amount gained by the bigger cartridge!

It's all a shell game. If you do not reload and own a crony you will never really know what yopu are getting.

Hell as far as factory ammo goes, You could buy the Hornady superperformace ammo for the 375HH as it states it goes 2670 with a 300 grain bullet.

The max reload for a 375 remington Ultramag is only 2730 or so and you need to shoot nearly 100 grains of powder to do it. 60 FPS is nothing and as any reloader will see quickly you try and get a mix of accuracy as well as max FPS.

Seldom do any of the big magnums get max FPS and accuracy. Jeff

11. AveragEd

For a lot of the reasons Jeff mentioned, I'm not a big fan of any magnum. My go-to hunting rifle is a Model 700BDL/DM wearing a 25" McGowen barrel in .280 Ackley Improved. It offers 7mm Rem Mag ballistics with honest one-hole accuracy and does so without a belted case. But if you're going to shoot a magnum, you might as well go all the way, so I prefer the RUM family.

And I can't overstate my preference for non-belted cases. The RUMs headspace on the shoulder instead of the belt, so the cases aren't stretched like a belted case every time they are fired. In fact, I'm down to two rounds with belted cases - a limited-edition Model 700LSS in .257 Weatherby Magnum and a Model 700BDL/DM in 7mm STW. Thanks to its flatter, Ackley-like shoulder angle, the .257WBY gets decent case life but that damned STW is good for two or three loadings before the stretch ring above the belt starts to show. I laid away 100 rounds of new brass for it several years ago but since acquiring my .280AI and 7mmRUM, I haven't looked at the STW. Every one of my RUMs shoots into a 3/4" or less and the 7mm is just nuts - 140 OR 150-grain bullets into one .400" hole at 3,364 and 3,288fps, respectfully.

Like I said, I prefer my .280AI, for it's only 250fps or so behind the 7mmRUM. It burns 62.5 grains of RE-22 on each shot while the 7mmRUM goes through 94.0 grains of Retumbo on every trigger pull. But if I'm going to pack a magnum, why settle for less than the max? On a really long shot, which is what magnums exist for, that 250fps might matter.

Ed

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I like big bullets Ed. When I need a magnum it's not for 150 grain bullets. To me the point of a magnum is to shoot big bullets faster so they will penetrate deeper at distance. 150 grain bullets are not what I shoot elk with. ( i use 350 grain arrows anymore!). If I hunted big game with a rifle I could narrow it to two guns for me. a 270 Winchester and a 375HH. That would do everything I need in North America.

13. 7remmag

7remmag Member

I thought about the ultra mag but I was scared away from it because it's so new and I would not want to be stuck with a rifle that I can no longer purchase ammunition for. The 375 h&h has been around for 100 years and shows no signs of leaving. I am a bit of a traditionalist which is also one of my reasons for going with the h&h. I reload and brass is readily available. Does anyone know if Jerry's Sports Center has any of the 700 SPS DG left? It's my understanding that there was a limited run of 500.

14. AveragEd

Jeff, if I was hunting elk or big bears, I would also want more than a .284" 150-grain bullet and I'd probably use my .338RUM for those critters. In fact, for most of my "big game" hunting, a 6mm or .260 REM would probably be sufficient. A 200-pound whitetail doesn't require two tons of muzzle energy to dispatch.

But it's better to have rifles we don't need than the alternative and I enjoy spending time at my loading bench and my gun club's ranges seeing how close together I can make holes in paper.

Ed

15. 7remmag

7remmag Member

I like the idea of the 700 SPS DG but I would be ordering the rifle directly from Remington and they would have to still be offering it. From what I understand 700 SPS DG was a limited run of 500. If anyone knows if Remington is still offering that rifle from the factory that would be great. If it's not I'll have to go with the xcr ii but I'm kind of turned off to it due to the fact that it has XCR II in big white letters engraved on the bottom of the floorplate. I know I could replace it but I'd rather not have to do that. If this engraving has been removed on the newer models or if anyone knows of a plan by Remington to announce a new 375 h&h please let me know.

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Why not just by a used 375 HH 700 on Gunbroker.com? It's not often you find a 375HH with the bore shot out of it! Most guys buy them for one hunt and then they sit for the next 20 years.

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=253759308

This is an exact copy of what I shoot, except the brake I have on mine is a vais. This is a heck of a bargain. Jeff

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Holland's offering has proven itself for almost a century. It throws a big bullet fast enough to be extremely useful for most hunting chores. It does this without brutal recoil. Most other big rifles that out perform the 375 H&H do so with so much recoil that even the above average hunter cannot shoot them well.

I have no problem shooting clover leaf three shot groups with my Ruger No. 1 at 50 yards offhand. It has a New England Custom gun receiver sight.

I had a Remmy XCRII 375 for about 20 minutes. It beat me to death with the Superformance ammo.

My game rifle battery consists of a 30/06 and Holland's 375.

19. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Here's my 375 H&H built on a Sako long action, Douglas XX barrel, Timney trigger and McMillan sporter stock. I had a Harrels muzzle break added.
    claybrdr_2008_0303137.jpg

20. 7remmag

7remmag Member

Thanks for all the help everyone! I was asking at my local gunshop and the owner, a friend of mine, knew a gentleman who was selling a 700 safari grade in 375 H&H new in the box for less than I would've spent on an xcr or an SPS DG and a new wooden stock for it. Now I need to figure out how much scope to put on it so I'll be opening a new thread discussing that.

Kyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

375rum for dangerous animals

700 sps magnum action
does rem 700 magnum bolt fit all magnums
mcmillan sporter
rem 700 action for 375 h&h mag
remington 700 375 h&h sps-dg dangerous game
remington 700 sps dangerous game rifle for sale
will remington magnum bolt fit standard action