1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

remington 58 question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

i've been looking at a couple remington 58s i noticed there is a rectangular block on the mag tube about 3 inches from the action. What is the purpose of this block, and is it necessary? It isn't shown in any schematics that I can find...

2. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Are you refering to the mag plug that limits capcity to 1 round in the chamber and 2 in the tube?

3. KRK32

KRK32 Member

You might mean the heavy and soft load selector it has holes in the end that you can open up when you shoot dynamite through it. Kirk

4. ouch

ouch Member

See if this helps. Richard

5. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

The mag tube on a model 58 is divided into two sections at the point you are referring to. Below the crimped section is the actual magazine which will hold two shells. Above is the gas system which includes a spring and gas piston. The action bar has a pin that locks into the gas piston and keeps it all together. The 58 is a pretty good old gun and works well if kept very clean. I still have a few parts for them as I used to shoot them years ago. Also, I can make vent rib barrels that will fit the model 58 and function just fine from 870 pump barrels.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.