1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 58 Combo Value? (Excellent Condition)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Alpha_Three_Niner, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpha_Three_Niner

Alpha_Three_Niner TS Member

I just received this from a friend, but I don't have access to Blue Book for a couple of days.

Can anyone comment on the value for the following: (Unfortunately, I don't have pictures.)

I'm looking at a model 58 Remington. It's a single gun set with two stock/bbl combination....one... plain stock, fore arm and bbl for hunting ......the second is the Sun-grain maple stock, fore arm and trap/skeet bbl.
    Condition is excellent......

Thanks,

2. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

My book says 395 for a 100% gun with the ungrain stock.

The xtra wood and bbl.......I would figure about 200 if you sell them seperately.

3. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

Check the gun very well. I don't know why but I believe the 58 had a problem of hair line cracks in the receiver. I have a 58, no cracks on mine, but I thought this was the case. Gas system kinda sucks to clean. Somebody with more knowledge might be able to shed some light on this, I could be mistaken? Colonel

4. wlc

wlc Member

Back when the 58s were popular for skeet, it was common to mill a relief slot at the back of the ejection port similar to the 1100. This was done on some after cracking had begun. One nice thing about the 58 is that 870 barrels can be used by drilling a couple of gas holes in them.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Any autoloader can have cracks in rear of receiver if the gas settings are not right for the shell.. and or the buffer.. if it has one is either missing or worn out.. The Remington 58 gas system is very similar to the Winchester 1400.. which design has stood the test of time.. The problem I saw with them was the mag tube/gas system would crack.. Not the receiver.. In any event..I've owned and shot many.. The major plus was the same stock as the 870 pump.. which can easily be shortened for a young shooter... The adjustable forend cap..(adjustable for the power of the shells..is often missing causing problems.. A 870 cap can be installed.. and small bushings made for a drilled and threaded hole to adjust the gun for whatever shell you shoot.. Most of the parts are still around..and many 870 parts are the same.. Hope this helps a little bit..

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I bought one for $250 three years ago. Very reliable, I just cleared the adjustable ports before each day of shooting. Tron likes 'em too.

7. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have a 58 Sportsman with the blonde wood. I got it from my FFL for $150 out the door. It was hardly used, had a 30 inch full choke vent rib barrel.

I had an adjustable comb and buttplate w/a Kickease pad added and it works very well as a back up gun.

It must be kept dry-no oil on the mag tube, etc. It works well for singles and handicap (though I don't seem to work well with handicap) and I shot a round of doubles today with no problems at all.

The 58 was a great favorite with the skeet shooters of the late 50s/early 60s and, I am told, many preferred it to the then new 1100 because the weight was all in the front and it swings so smoothly.

Also, since there is nothing in the butt stock, unlike the 1100, so it can be cut to a very short LOP for the ladies or youths.

A tiny bit more complicated than the 1100 to take down for cleaning, but not much. And, like most things, once you've done it a couple of times, it's no big deal.

Bob

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Got a 20 ga. no crackes but not shot that much.

9. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I have 2; a 20 and a 12, both skeet guns. I prefer them to a 1100 for reliability.

If your friend is interested in selling this gun, take a few pictures and post it here, I would expect that it will go pretty fast if the price in anywhere near right.

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have an all factory 20ga Skeet gun and it's the best pointing gun out of the box that I've ever owned. It's my favorite 20 gauge and is fairly reliable in temperatures above 40 degrees. For some reason or other, it never did like the cold. None of my 58's did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
remington model 58 shotgun maple stock for remington

remington sportsman 58 buffer

sun grain maple stocked remington shotguns