1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

remington 572 22 cal Smooth bore Pics ADDED

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Crickets, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crickets

Crickets Member

I'm trying to find a use for a Remington 572 .22 cal shotgun. Other than shooting carpenter bees. I'm trying to find a reason keep it. We've had it for years and I have shot maybe 50 rounds through it. At one point I thought it would be fun to try to set up a Trap scaled down to about 5 or 10 yards. I have experimented w/ Marshmallows, crackers, pellet gun target disks etc. My biggest issue is anything small and light enough to throw as a target has minimal air time, has no consistent flight path or is thrown so fast they are out of range before you can aim. Any Ideas.
    Answers to Questions: 1. Not a Rutledge Bore - Regular SB. 2. Date Code LZ (1975),3. Considering selling or trading it.

Despite my wishful thinking it does not have a VR. But it is in good shape, all the bluing in there,just a scratch on the stock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've always wanted one of those. Thought it would be fun to skeet shoot yellowjackets.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Try Cabbage Butterfly hunting. Great challenge and sharpens your shooting eye. Does anyone make a release trigger for a smoothbore rifle? I've even found myself flinching with one of those!!

4. oneidcharlie

oneidcharlie Member

If you want to sell it I would be interested. Charlie

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

At a Boy Scout Camp shooting range I ran back one year in the 1970's we had a pair of .22 Rutledge Bore guns (yes, I said GUN not rifle). One was a Mossberg and the other one I don't remember. One was a pump and the other a bolt action. A Rutledge bore had a .22 smooth bore for maybe 15 or 18 inches and then it opened to about a .410 or so bore for the next 8 inches or so.

They were used on the MOSKEETO field. This was miniature clay pigon maybe an inch and a half diameter. There was a down sized manual trap used to throw these "Moskeeto" targets. It did a very good jpb and I was surprised ho far out those little .22 #12 shot charges could break the bird.

I looked all over to buy more of these targets when we ran out but there were none to be found anywhere. Since then I have never seen a Moskeeto target. There are the sporting clays mini but those would be to hard I would think fo a load of #12 to break them.

The other thing these mini shotguns were good for is hunting bullfrogs. At least that is what I was told.

6. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Have you tried the old candy "neco wafers" They come in a roll and make great targets.just an idea..

7. Crickets

Crickets Member

oneidcharlie PM sent

8. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Crickets is your gun Routledge bored or just a straight smooth bore? Either way I would also be interested if you decide to sell. Can you post the two letter date code on the left side of barrel.

The 572 SB were used for MO-SKEET-O clay target shooting. There are a few variations. They were re-introduced around 2004 in a BDL grade. I am looking for the early ones.

9. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I saw a case of MoSkeetO targets and a trap for sale at the Grand, don't remember who.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm confused, why do you need to find a reason to keep a gun? It's a gun and its paid for. That is reason enough to keep it if you ask me. I thought it was always finding reasons to get more guns not justify keeping one. Just Say'n....................

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Might be fun to convert one by replacing the sights with a rib and make the stock adjustable.

12. Crickets

Crickets Member

Ok, I've had several people ask whether or not I want to sell it. Driving home from our long weekend I put some serious thought to it. I have 2 things I consider of selling a gun (or anything else of value) 1st - is it worth selling? In other words is it worth the effort and what can I replace it with of similar value. If i sell a gun I replace it with another gun. 2nd and this is the biggest - Can I replace it if I have sellers remorse? So I guess what I would like to know is what is the value of a 90-95% SB 572? I'm kind of guessing on the condition I haven't had it out of the safe in 5 years or so -I don't think I've pulled it from its sock in 8. I do remember it has pretty plain wood - kind of a buckskin color. and I really want to believe it has a VR on it. I would pull it out if i didn't have to unload a whole closet to do it and we just got home. I could do the research myself to get a Fair Market price, but since there are so many experts here, I thought I could save some time. I'll get it out next weekend and post some pics.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What would you like to trade for it?

14. Crickets

Crickets Member

couple people have suggested shooting critters such as yellow jackets and Cabbage Moths.............I tried carpenter bees, but they are real hard to catch and load into the trap,and most times there is a long delay from when I say pull and they actually fly out! AND they don't fly out at regulation angles. Are the yellow jackets any more cooperative? I might try them, but convincing my daughter to catch them for me might be a challenge.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have had many fun filled 'combat' mouse hunts in my grain building using .22 shot rounds in a K-22. The 572 would be a 'riot gun' in that application - for target shooting, go to the dollar store and live large. You can probably find a stack of plastic tea party saucers that would make semi-resuable hand thrown targets.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

good for indoor card shooting. (Yes they do).

HM

17. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

How is the accuracy with 22 longs or long rifle? - wonder if it could be suppressed.

rm

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Accuracy with solids is non-existant!!

19. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I bet a Ritz cracker would make a great target for one of these, too much fun guns.

John E.

20. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Crickets check and see if your gun has a VR. If it does post a picture. Simmons installed the ribs on the 572 as well as the 514. And they still do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
remington 22 smooth bore
remington 572 bdl smoothbore
remington 572 fieldmaster smooth bore
remington 572 routledge bore
remington 572 smooth bore

remington 572 smoothbore

remington 572 smoothbore for sale

remington smooth bore 22 cal