1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

remington 4100-T won't oscillate. probable cause?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quartering, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

remington 4100-T won

the trap throws fine. it's the oscillator that's sticking. it'll throw a few times and then the trap will oscillate a little and then stop. throw a couple more, oscillate a little more, and then stop again. it's like the action of the trap is having to shake it loose enough to make it oscillate again. it just doesn't oscillate back and forth, smoothly, all the way as it should. what's making it run so herky jerky? thanks

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

That's what it's supposed to do. They do not oscillate continually like the old Western handsets. If you fire it and the trap changes position-it's fine. If the movement is very infrequent it's probably the micro-switch that is sticking or needs re-positioning!!

3. Trussman2

Trussman2 Active Member

oleollie is correct. It will only oscillate while it's re-cocking. And then it may move a little.......a lot.........or not at all.........

4. quartering

quartering Active Member

ah, so a laporte 185 it ain't. that's too bad. i was hoping that something was just broken. anyway, thanks for the info

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Don't be afraid, take off the cover and observe what it does.

From the back, on the left side is a one RPM clock motor that operates a scalloped cam. This cam works the micro switch which fires the angling clutch. (real name - Incremental Rotation Package.)

If the micro switch is relaxed when the trap fires no angle movement takes place. If closed, the angle changes during the cocking cycle.

Only 4 things can fail in this subsystem. The micro switch, solenoid,clutch spring or the little clock motor.

It only takes a few cycles to verify operation or malfunction.

HM

6. quartering

quartering Active Member

the cam doesn't spin and when i manually depress the switch, it clicks, but doesn't oscillate the machine. should the cam spin all the time or only after the arm releases a bird? and shouldn't depressing the cam switch cause the trap to oscillate? i can't believe i went out there without a multimeter. thanks

7. bt 99

bt 99 TS Member

HI---I just went thru that on our 4100. Maybe there is an old post that could be found.

Anyway here is what fixed it--from memory--down in the middle of the machine is a spring that was broke. I ordered a new spring and installed it but it still would not work properly--so--i sent the whole mecinisim back to the place and they adjusted the spring tension for almost nothing--i reinstalled and it works great now. I will try to goggle up the 4100 and get part number.

QRP---They are good people to work with. If all above advice fails then check the clutch spring, if broke just send in the clutch assy and have them replace spring--then reinstall for best results.

I believe the part is called the angleing clutch--digaram on Plate one--(1). Once one is in the mood it is not very hard to check and remove. It is not necessary to completely tear the trap apart. I fiddled with everything for a couple of days till i excluded everything else. The spring is located (hid) inside that plastic looking thing. Just slide pin up and a couple of bolts and it is out. Hope this helps. Steve

8. Trussman2

Trussman2 Active Member

quartering.....the oscillation clutch will only rotate when the machine is re-cocking. If the timing motor is not running, make sure the switch is turned on for oscillation.......that would be the switch on the right side of the control panel. If it still doesn't run, you may have a bad connection, bad switch, or a bad motor.

You could bypass the timing motor operation by rotating the disc manually until the micro-switch is depressed. Then when you fire the machine, it should change direction every time......but it will no longer be a random oscillation.....

9. Trussman2

Trussman2 Active Member

Click the link for a PDF manual for the 4100.........

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

thanks for the link. but what year was this thing made? nobody else at the club seems too interested in taking this thing on. and now i see why. i'm thinking it's just time for a new lincoln or something

here's my bitch: you have to completely disassemble and remove the carousel just to get the cover off to see how the oscillator operates! i could do all of that or the club could just drop 5k on a new machine. it's the same difference to them. thanks

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Carousel comes off easy-just don't lose the key!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 4100 trap machine repair companies

remington 4100 trap machine repairs in pennsylvania

who made remington 4100t