1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 4100 Indexing Problem - help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gordonearl, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordonearl

gordonearl TS Member

I am having a problem with the magazine indexing clutch of a remington 4100T trap machine. It started with the turret getting slightly out of position. We corrected it at the time by repositioning the turret gear by a few teeth. the machine worked brilliantly for a few hundred birds, but now the turret is losing its position, and the magazine is reluctant to turn when fully loaded. Even empty, it fails to index the proper amount and loses its alignment after several cycles. I suspect the indexing clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced, but want to be sure. The machine is older, but has less than 17k birds on the counter and is in good mechanical and electrical condition (as near as I can tell). I replaced the coil on the indexing clutch, bit it made no difference.

Any help is appreciated!

2. blooch

blooch Member

It's been a long time since I got rid of mine, so bear with me. As I recall there is a key in a slot on the shaft the turret revolves on, sounds like yours is missing or sheared.

3. gordonearl

gordonearl TS Member

thanks for the feedback! The woodruff keys are all in place, which is leading me to think the clutch is defective....but want to be sure before we part with the $300
    Thanks
    gord

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Remove the clutch..and clean it up good...Reassemble, Give it a shot of ATF, blow off the excess and give it one more try. If that doesn't do the trick, and all the keys are intact..new clutch might be the next step...Don't overload the turret, that will cause it to stop short due to overweight load.
    Do you have a copy of the manual??

Big Jack

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You don't need the clutch, just replace the spring in it. If the solenoid works and the collar moves, the rest of it is fine.

The way it works:

The shaft turns continuously with the gearbox. The collar on the clutch holds the spring open. When the solenoid gets a jolt the collar slips and the spring inside tightens so the shaft can drive the turret.

I have replaced many springs, but the only time I replaced the whole assembly was if the solenoid gave out.

I used to get springs from AC Supply for a paltry sum. I believe Borg-Warner was the maker.

HM

6. gordonearl

gordonearl TS Member

Thanks so much fellas! All the advice is appreciated! I think i'll pull the clutch apart and see what the go is. If nothing else, it will give me a better idea of how it all works!

7. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Seeing as gordonearl's question was pretty much answered, would anyone know why a 4100 would be double firing? Actually, we know why, just would like to know how to fix. We found that if you hold the button down at all, it will double, but if you just tap the button, it's fine. Being as most of the guy's who pull at our club have a tendency to hold down the button, and can't seem to fix that, so if we use that trap, I or 1 other guy have to pull it. Any idea's? I've gone through the manual and can't find anything detailing how to fix this kind of problem. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Josh.

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

When I was working on a few 4100s, I contacted the manufacturer of the clutches, and at the time, they would rebuild it for $100. They wouldn't sell a new one though. A new clutch had to be gotten from a trap machine repair dealer.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

who made remington 4100t