1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 40xb vs. 700

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doug Brown, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Need your thoughts-Is a Remington 40xb rifle worth twice the price of a Remington 700 rifle? Thanks

2. cookoff

cookoff TS Member

Doug, Have a number of 700's and one 40X. All are set up for varmint hunting. 223, 220 Swift, 243 Win, 204 Ruger and a 6 Ackley Imp. Some are custom re barreled, some out of the box factory stock. The 40X out of the box was the most accurate, 1/4 inch groups no sweat with multiple loads. Have had several of the factory "heavy bbl varmint specials" shoot nearly as well, 1/2 inch and better with again multiple loads. The 40X action has more attention paid in the machining process, trued, better bolt lug engagement etc. The barrel is also normally a higher quality than that of a box stock rifle. I know of a 40X that did not shoot well and the barrel copper fouled badly. What really matters is how accurate you "need" your rifle to be and do you want to work with it to improve the accuracy your getting. Loads and bedding for example. If I was to purchase another "Varmint" shooter would buy a non 40X version. If it didn't shoot, (my experience most will and for a lot less money), would have it re barreled and smithed with a Shilen or Hart etc, and not look back. All but one of my re barreled 700's (the 6 Ack Imp) shoot as good or better than the 40X. Hope this helps.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

No I bought a new 40 XB in 22-250 from Renington . The Rifle came with a broken extracter and a bad chamber . After I got it back from Renington it shot like crap . I can buy a Remington 700 heavy barrel for half the price and if it don,t shoot trade it on a another one . I can trade three or four times if need be and still not have the price of a 40X in it .

ALF

4. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Many years ago had a 40X in .308 Win. With GI Match Grade 168 gr ammo it was an honest 1/2 inch shooter at 100 yds all day long. And at 200 yds the groups barely opened up.

Bought another in 2001 in .223 and it shot .3" at 100 yds and about the same at 200 yds.....simply amazing.

Then again....taking a std Rem 700, have the action blueprinted, add a quality barrel and trigger, drop it into a good glass stock....can shoot as well for about the same or sometimes less money invested. I've done it several times.

Though I must say I have also seen rifles that theoretically should shoot that are less than stellar. I have owned a few too. Lately ANY factory rifle is a crap shoot.

FN in MT

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The 40xb is designed for shooting NRA High Power National Match Course competitions. The 700 is designed for hunting. The 40x action is slotted inorder to use stripper clips when reloading. It is also drilled and tapped for target sight bases. It also has a target grade stock. The triggers on both guns are almost the same. HMB

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Big difference when you tote one around...I used to groundhog hunt with a 40X 22/250 with a 15X Unertl Ultra Varmint scope and bipod that weighed almost 15 pounds. No offhand shots with that baby but would shoot under an inch at 250 yards.

Older now (much) and shoot 700s with factory barrels in .204 and 22/250 that shoot almost as good and are a lot more "portable". Modern scopes are better and more compact as well.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Basically what cookoff said

There are several models of 40X's - and various stock and barrel configurations

one thing I do like with one of the 40X configurations is the stainless 27.5 inch barrel -- it gives you a lot of steadiness even with the wind blowing-- doesnt heat up much - and is easy to add a muzzle break to -- the additional 1.5 inches gives me about 60-70 fps more with a 223 and about 80 feet more with a 243 but the big deal is with the 220 Swift- about 100 -110 fps more

I have never seen a 40X that wouldnt shoot and rarely have I seen a 700 that wouldnt shoot- usually if you adjust the bedding and recrown the muzzle- whatever was wrong is no longer a problem with the 700

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Why bother; buy a Savage or a Sako. Just my unbiased opinion.

9. ink ball

ink ball Member

I've had several Rem 700's. All shot very good with the exepction of one of them. I've had one 40X and it was chambered for .243 Win. Wow...that thing shot like a laser beam. It was so accurate it almost seemed unfair. As good as the 700's were, the 40X was much better. The trigger on the 40X is also much better than the 700's.
    Really don't have an interest in rifles anymore...stricly shotguns. But...if I ever got the itch again, there is no doubt that I'd get another 40X. I also had one Savage. Pretty darn good. I'd say as good as the 700's, but it wasn't in the same class as the 40X.

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

well will put my .02 in I found the 40x does better in the small fast cal. Because of heat. I have a 700[60s] in 06 and it will do as good as the 40 at its range <200yds I have a Savage 110 7mm mag with a 24 power scope. It surprized me . This is the before AT gun and it will take on the best of the best. With Federal ammo off a Lead Sled at 200yd on a nice day will print 5 in a 1/2in. I am setting up a range for a buddy to play with his new toy. [A Barret 50cal] at 1000yds I want to try the Savage at that range

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 40xb

remington 40xb 243

remington 40xb forum