1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 3200 ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark-in-Maine, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

Laib's gunsmithing has parts. My 3200 is the best trap gun I have ever owned. And I have owned a bunch!

Take care,
    Mark

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Mark's got it right with Laibs. I consider the Rem. 3200 just about the most-bang-for-the-buck when looking at used over/unders, most of them very handsome. There was a time when I shot one for singles, caps, and doubles and posted several 100s from up close......breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It's an old obsolete gun. Why waste your money on something like that when there are so many new and better designs out there. It's like Model 12's, and model 31's. Some nut cases still think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Well they are not. They, like the 3200 are no longer being made because more modern shotguns have taken their places.

So, let the shot fly from all you naysayers......

4. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

shot410ga, hopfully you still are not being made.

The 3200 has the fastest lock time of any arc swing hammer gun made. Laib's has alot of part (if needed)and stocks are still being made for these fine works of art. If you like it and shoots well for you have no fear buy it.

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

One poster on TS.com some time ago (Gene ?) said it best that Rem. 3200s are excellent guns and have developed a sort of cult-like following...like '57 Chevys. Still excellent, but when (not if) they break down like anything mechanical, you have a very real problem getting parts replaced or getting them serviced. That said, it takes all my self-control to turn away from buying another one as they turn up from time-to-time recognizing the repair/replacement problems. Meanwhile, I shoot an MX-15 or a Browning XT. Best Regards, Ed

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Best doubles gun ever. HMB

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

When any gun breaks, you have to know whom to call to get parts or get the gun worked on. The phone numbers are different. I know how to get my 3200 fixed and I also know how to get my Krieghoffs fixed. If I were a serious competition shooter, I would have repair parts on hand for whatever gun I shot. I shot the 3200 in competition for years and would again. Don't buy an overused gun, regardless of which gun you shoot.

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

"Still excellent, but when (not if) they break down like anything mechanical, you have a very real problem getting parts replaced or getting them serviced."

There is no "real problem" getting them fixed if/when needed. Total BS.

Like 57 Chevy’s, first gen Mustangs, or vintage power wagons, the eye is in the beholder.

Classic contraptions live on forever as long as there is a market. Laibs knows this. It’s their business model and to this day do quite well supporting the REM 3200.

I shoot a brace of these handsome and yes, nostalgic over/unders.

Bring a K80 to the shoot and you'll be a dime a dozen. The same said for Silver Seitz, XTs, Blazer, and Perazzi's for that matter.

What counts is what fits you--your taste, your physique, and your budget.

Discounting the venerable 3200 based on obsolescence is pure BS--the opines of those who don’t know better.

Bob Dodd, and others have mentored me on this American Classic. The finest O/U ever made--no, but a true classic still viable on the fields of our passion. Opinions to the contrary are those who don’t know better.

If you want one, go for it. You won't lose money. You may not shoot it as well as another, but that won't be because it's an inferior product.

Guy Babin

9. OldGoat

Geez...Mr. Babin....I did not mean to say anything to get "flamed"...or to peddle "B.S." Yes, 3200s are certainly "classics" but I guess the extent of the problem to get one fixed is in the eye of the beholder. Regards, Ed

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I made the 27yrd line with a 3200, used it until I was told that I could not shoot caps with a 30" o/u. lol.

After shooting a CG unsingle for the last few years with decent scores-

I thought I would dust off the old 3200 - a round or two for keepssake, it felt cumbersome like a fence post, I thought to my self "how did I ever hit $$hitt with this old club"?

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Ed,

No personal attack intended.

V/R,

Guy

12. OldGoat

Guy, your reply is appreciated. I have and enjoy owning both a 3200 skeet and a trap model which I shoot from time-to-time...and sometimes kinda tempted to add another. Best Regards, Ed

13. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have had a number of 3200 and still own a few. I went to a Kolar but still shoot them once in a while - and I still love them! I have a 34" under-single barrel on one of them and it is a spectacular shooter (and looker).

I sold my competition grade with 32" over/under barrels to a guy in Calif a few years ago who won the State with it and then had it stolen. My daughter shoots a 30" (when she shoots)and I still shoot the other O/U for things like tower shoots.

I bought a 32" Special Trap for a dear friend about 8 years ago. It was virtually new. He never used it and he passed away several years ago. I have been trying to get his sone to sell it to me ever since. Instead he keeps it wrapped up in the attic with all of his father's guns, including a lovely 28 ga. Webley Scott which I have coveted for 30 years. He will never use it but just won't consider selling it.

I'll always have a 3200 - or two!

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Still doubts? Walk down the line during doubles events at a decent sized shoot and see how many squads don't have at least one 3200 participating.....BD

15. len loma

len loma TS Member

I know I will offend some people out there but my experience with the 3200 I shot for 5 years was not good. I found it to swing nice but recoil hard. My forearm wood cracked and the retaining hardware which is under designed deformed crearting problems. I did have reciever upgrades and had Kolar lenghten forcing cones. My POI between barrels was a problem but I was done sinking money into it. A buddy had the reciever tang crack at barrel selector. They welded it together.

Mine was a money pit and I worried every year it would break down during league. All the 3200 design problems can be fixed by Laibs but what if they close up shop? Plain and simple why spend all that money when there are much better guns out there. I traded for a used Beretta 682X and have never regreted it. My scores went up too.

Len

16. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have a competition grade I bought "new" in 1992 and had a Baker unsingle made for it in 1995 or so. It has fired thousands and thousands of rounds with very little trouble. Other than the optional updating of the forend, the breach face and a reblue the actual breakdowns have been limited to one firing pin, a main spring plunger and one ejector sear. The repairs were very economical, just bought the parts and installed them. No complaints from me on the 3200 or the other four I have for that matter. Great guns for the money if you choose carefully. Look for: (1) 3200s with one pin side to side through the receiver (they were manufactured at the factory with the updates)(2) Choose one with good solid wood, no cracks (3) Choose one that has not been fired a great deal or has been exceptionally well maintained (4) Look for damage around firing pin holes from all steel primers (5) Be wary of alterations such as porting and choke tubes (6) Although not mandatory it is a plus if the gun has the forend update and breach face update.

Just keep the wear points greased, tighten the fit of the forend to the barrels as per instructions when needed (check at 5 to 10 thousand rounds) and shoot it. Generally very reliable guns.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

BDodd- I am sure the Rem. 3200 is a fine shotgun, but I have walked down the line at many larger shoots and I see very few 3200 guns shot at doubles.

Pat Ireland

18. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

One of the best shooting guns I've owned. Made it to the 27 with mine years ago.
    I had 2 backups for it, so I was prepared. They do break from time to time, so good to have parts for it. You still see lots of them on the line in our area. You could own a six pack of 'em for a lot cheaper than most of the current guns out there. To each his own. I no longer shoot mine, but still have it in the safe, just in case. Good luck with your purchase, puablo

19. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Mr. Pat,

Evidently you've never walked down the line at the Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania State shoots, or Grand for that matter when I was there.

The 3200 was in its day, and remains to a diminished level, a special shotgun. From what I know about you I'd be surprised if you thought otherwise. Not the best mind you, but a classic piece of trapshooting heritage.

Respectfully,

Guy Babin

20. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Sir Pat; what I said is far from rare here on the left coast and brother Babin seems to agree. It would be interesting to try to explain the difference. To all; understand that if the 3200 was being compared with the K and P guns (and beyond), there would be no argument or special support for them. My stance that they tend to be rather handsome and priced well inside the cost of new but economical O/Us. Thus the more-bang-for-the-buck remark....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.