1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 3200 upgrades- Why ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by amboy49, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I have a Remington 3200 and am thinking about purchasing another. I've always heard that the 3200 should have "upgrades" done - but I'm not certain I've ever heard what specific "upgrades" should be done. Originally the guns could be sent back to Remington and have this process done at no charge. With Remington no longer honoring that recall, I am also informed it can still be performed for a cost of $600-$800 by someone specializing in this process.

The 3200 skeet gun I have was purchased new and unfired. It had the upgrades completed as evidenced by the two allen headed screws that are seen on the breech face below the firing pins.

However, shortly after receiving the gun and shooting approx. 500 rounds the forearm developed a crack which I had expoxied to stop further damage.

So - before I purchase another 3200 and shoot it - what are the upgrades and what is the purpose ?

thanks in advance.

Noel

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are two upgrades. The one you mentioned is to beef up the receiver. The second is to the fore end to prevent cracking or splitting of the wood. HMB

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The current guru for upgrades on your Rem. 3200 is: Laib's Gunsmithing, Pat Laib, 201 North Hwy 23, Spicer, MN 56288 320.796.2686 laib@wecnet.com.

The upgrades were never a safety issue, just improving some weaknesses in the original design. hmb's correct in that the first was the receiver improvements and you've already seen how to tell if they've been done. The second was to the forearm iron beefing up the area of the ejector hammers where there is considerable stress with the cocking and releasing of the hammers with each firing/opening of the gun and this was from the mind of Pat Laib. Remington DID, later in the process of upgrading, paint on an epoxy-like material on the inside of the forearm and receiver where metal meets wood to help cure the wood cracking problem. They also, soon after the first guns were out, include a warning with the owner's manual that the stock bolt securing the stock to the receiver should never be tightened to more than 5 lbs of torque. Evidently people were hogging down the bolt and causing wood failure at the receiver.

If you're shooting your 3200 every once in a while and only recreationally, you could do without upgrades for a long time. If the gun is used in regular registered shooting, they should be done. The forearm iron upgrade can be ignored if you prefer to disable the ejector hammers cocking and ejection of shells. The gun will still extract shells if the ejector hammers are disabled. Most any decent smith can disable the ejector hammers for you.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
remington 3200 forearm cracks

remington 3200 upgrade

remington 3200 upgrades

upgrade to remington 3200
upgrading remington 3200
why did remington disscontinue the 3200