1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 3200 Upgrades Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jawinchester, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawinchester

jawinchester Member

I have a 3200 that has been shot very little and in near-new original condtion. I see many comments on the forum regarding upgrades. Should I not be shooting this gun? What can go wrong?

--Jerry

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Jerry, Does it have a dot in the serial no? If it does it has the up dates. If it doesn't, shoot it. People shot thousands of rounds thru them before the updates came about. Bill

3. copperjohn

copperjohn Member

Jerry: First question, is the gun have factory updates? yes it is important it was done to strength the receiver look for dot next to the OU under receiver. You can shoot the gun w/o update but the update had a purpose and is important but you can shoot its not going to blow up on you nothing like that.

Kevin

4. jawinchester

jawinchester Member

There is no dot in the SN. I'm told the gun was bought new, had about 2 flats of shells shot through it, and was put back in the box (I have the box too).

--Jerry

5. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

If is doesn't have the updates and you intend to shoot it but you don't want to put out the money for Laib's to do the updates, the most important thing you can do is glass bed the area where the stock bolt screws into the tang and relieve the wood around the radius on the upper and lower tang a few thousands. This helps to take the impact from recoil off of the tang radius area and moves it to the glass bedded area, thereby helping to prevent the stock from splitting at the area of the tang radius. Remington put out a detailed description of how to do this, along with recomendations on tightening the stock bolt. I have a first year model that I shoot without the updates, and have never had a problem with the stock.

If you want to PM me I will be glad to furnish you with the information described above.

Just because the gun may not have the updates does not make it unsafe to shoot.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It sounds like a nice gun. I would send it to Laibs and tell him to do what needs to be done. He will do an excellent job and be fair on the price.

7. jawinchester

jawinchester Member

OldRemFan,

I sent you a PM.

--Jerry

8. WJN

WJN TS Member

FYI - My 3200 doesn't have a dot in the serial number but it has the updates. The set screws in the receiver face are a result of the upgrades. At least that is my understanding. There is also an issue with the forend cracks. Mine has two on one side that have been repaired. I just reinforced the other side as well just to be done with it.

Jim

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

OldRemFan has it right, but a little history helps.

The 3200 had a minor, stupid design-flaw that could be exploited by strong-arms and cheater-bars. Or by letting the head of the stock get soaking wet and improperly drying it, and the wood swelling.

You don't even need to glass-bed the head of the stock (although it is a good idea), or relieve the 'recoil shoulders' a couple of thousandths.

Slap a couple of coats of thinned marine varnish on the raw wood; let it dry good, and put the stock back on 'snug' (meaning HAND TIGHT, ONLY!) with a big screwdriver and bare oily hand: no crescent wrench on square shank, to t-bar, no dry leather gloves ...

After a hundred tho or so shells, send it to Laibs for overhaul.

Bob

10. Barry

Barry Member

This has come up in previous discussions. The following is a reply from Remington published in a thread a while back:

Here is a communication from Remington that explains what parts are changed out when the Remington 3200 was updated. There have been several questions about just what is done in the update and this gives a detailed listing of what parts are replaced. Looks pretty extensive.

This is in response to your correspondence received December 6, 2004. As with any design, we constantly explore opportunities to improve our products. The result of these opportunities led us to an update with the Model 3200 that we felt led to an improvement in reliability and endurance.

You may use the firearm without the update as the update was /is a choice of the consumer. If the update has already been performed, you will notice a dot (.) between the letters and the numbers of the serial numbers. If you are interested in having the update completed the firearm can be returned to our factory for evaluation at: Remington Arms Company 14 Hoefler Avenue Ilion, NY 13357

The following parts are included with the update: BOTTOM TANG, BOTTOM TANG PIN., BOTTOM TANG SCREW EJECTOR STOP PIN, EJECTOR TIP, EJECTOR TIP ROD (I) EJECTOR TRIP ROD (R) FIRING PIN RETRACTOR HAMMER ASSY.(L) HAMMER ASSY. (R) HAMMER COCKING ROD SEAR BLOCK, SEAR BLOCK PIN, SEAR LEFT, SEAR RIGHT, SEAR SPRING, SELECTOR BLOCK, STRUT, TANG BLOCK SCREW TANG BLOCK SLOT NUT TANG CONNECTING BLOCK TANG STRUT, TANG STRUT PIN, TOP LOCK, TOP LOCK LATCH, TOP LOCK LEVER PLUNGER ASSY, TOP LOCK LEVER SCREW TRIGGER ADJUSTING SCREW TRIGGER ADJUSTING SCREW NUT, TRIGGER CONNECTOR SPRING PIN, YOKE ROD, YOKE ROD BUFFER SPRING YOKE ROD BUFFER WASHER YOKE ROD NUTS, A BARREL BAND IS INSTALLED ON 30" BARRELS ALONG WITH A BARREL BAND PIN.

We hope this information is helpful to you. If we can be of further service to you, please contact us at 1-800-243-9700, Monday — Friday, 9am — 5pmEST. Sincerely, D. Atkins Consumer Services""

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 3200 history

remington 3200 serial number lookup
remington 3200 trigger upgrade
remington 3200 update
remington 3200 update serial nunber

remington 3200 upgrades

remington model 3200 history

what are the remington model 3200 upgrades