1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 3200 Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ClaySmoke, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

If I remove the springs on the forend to make the gun extract only, will this alleviate the need to send the forend to Pat Laib for reinforcement? Has anyone ever replaced the factory springs with light springs just strong enough to clear the hulls from the chambers? Would doing this still help the forend issue? And lastly, how do I go about removing the springs? Thanks. Garrett

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It will help, but the fore end wood can still crack unless itis reenforced. You can use weaker springs or you can remove a few coils from the existing springs. To remove the springs remove the iron from the fore end wood, uncock the hammers. HMB

3. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Thanks for the info hmb. Does anyone know what Laib charges to reinforce the forend? Garrett

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've seen a propensity for wood cracking in the forearm in the area of the ejector hammers and also up front where the lower barrel meets wood. Disabling the ejector hammers will reduce a lot of stress in the rear of the forearm but has no affect on the front portion. Were I willing to "change" springs for the ejector hammers, I'd just leave them out altogether. It's a piece of cake to remove the spent shells manually. On forearms having the Verathane or epoxy-like material painted in the interior areas, I've not seen any cracking. Nothing, however, is going to provide any guarantees....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Bob, if I ship the forend to Laib, is this epoxy coating something that he does as well to the forend? Or is it something that I do myself? Garrett

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Garrett, I don't know if he'd do it or not. This sorta fix was something Remington did themselves in the later guns and also in the later upgrading. I don't know if they just thought it's not a bad idea or if they really believed in it or not. I never saw anything written or recommended but saw enough of the later made guns and late upgraded guns that were so treated that I adopted the recommendation on my very own self. You can buy a small can of Verathane or similar and a cheap brush at any hardware and just lightly cover the inside of the wood, both stock and forearm, thinking especially where wood meets metal. After that, toss the brush away and store the small can of product. No guarantees but it certainly won't hurt a thing. The special trap I used for all games for more than 10 years was so treated by Remington during a late 80's upgrade and I never had any sign of cracking at any time. Not tightening the stock bolt more than 5 lbs of torque was apparently also a good rule to follow.....Bob Dodd

7. okieshootist

okieshootist Member

Claysmoke I had Laib's do the foreend mod to my 3200 last year. I am pretty sure it cost me about $250. Give them a call both Tom Fox and Pat are easy to talk to and very knowledgeable on 3200's Okieshootist (David H)

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The forend modification involves the welding of a reinforcement to the inside rear of the forend iron. It does not affect the wood or the finish.

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

birdogs,

The welding does affect the blueing on the forearm iron requireing a reblue of the piece--at least mine did at Liabs. They matched the finish extremely well.

Guy Babin

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

GDBABIN,

The finish I was referring to was the wood. I should have been more specific.

Birdogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 3200 ejector spring removal