1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 3200 question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dutchman1968, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dutchman1968

dutchman1968 Active Member

I am looking at a Remington 3200 that has 30" barrels that are marked full and mod. and has a straight stock and a flat rib. Is this a field gun? It does not say "trap" or special trap , no markings. All I know it has the updates on it. Thank you

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Field grade most likely.

Place it on the butt with the rib flat against a door jam. If the stock angles away it is a field set-up.

Guy Babin

3. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

All the trap guns offered for sale were Full/Imp Mod, or Full/Full, your choice of 30 or 32 inch barrels, straight comb stock or monte carlo type stock. It also had the step rib. Some were not marked trap.

With out seeing a picture, I believe what you are describing is a field model. Those ribs did not have a step in them immediately in front of the receiver.

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

ORF,

There were other 3200 choke combinations produced in Trap models beyond those you cite. For a period Remington would build you one to order.

Field configurations have a drop at the stock. Trap versions of most all brands have combs that are parallel to the barrels--therefore the door jam test.

Guy

5. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Guy:

I know the Remington custom shop would do about anything one wanted to pay for and did so until the mid 1990's or maybe later on the 3200's. I was referring to what was available thru dealers and and in published brochures that was available to the general public.

I have seen at least a couple of trap guns that have had the drop modified by resetting the glass bedding on the tang. I have a One of 1,000 that has had the comb shaved. These would pass your door jam test as a non trap gun set up but were not actually field guns. Some did this to the stock to get a fit they wanted. I think the question was whether it was a field or trap model originally that he was looking at. Maybe I misunderstood the question dutchman1968 posted. I have been known to do that before.

6. Kerz

Kerz Member

I have a 1973 vintage full/modified trap.
    Vic

7. dutchman1968

dutchman1968 Active Member

also could you tell me when it was made? serial # ou.301xx. The engraving on the reciever has the plain english pointer with no scrolling on either side?

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Call Remington, they will provide the build date.

9. Kerz

Kerz Member

All, I stand corrected my 3200 field gun is full/modified. Vic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.