1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 3200 problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Billydog, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billydog

Billydog TS Member

I have a 3200 Remington that opens hard after shooting the bottom barrel only. There is a drag mark from the firing pin on the primer. I have oiled it, but it did not help. Any suggestions? Tom

2. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Billydog, I had similar experiences with the 3200's that I have had before. They are all sold long ago because for this issue. It is my opinion that your bottom firing pin is sticking in the out position when you open the gun. To check what is going on remove your bbls. Next, move the top lever to the closed position, the pins should now be sticking out of the breech face. Now move the top lever back as if you were opening the gun and note if the pins want to stick in the holes of the breech face. After some use all of the 3200's that I had began to develop this problem. I also had some FTF issues with the bottom bbl as the pins also had trouble coming out to hit the primer. The holes wear shut with use. If you want to continue to use this gun send it to Pat Liab in MN. If you do a google search for him you will see that his web site shows that he is the go to guy for the 3200. He bought up the remaining parts from Big Green when they stopped doing factory service.
    Doug

3. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Billy,

As Doug mentioned it is the firing pin that is sticking out that is causing the gun to be hard to open. You may try simply clean the firing pin hole to see if this helps the problem. I had this happen many years ago at the grand and took it into Remington and after a good cleaning the problem went away.

If you need work done on it Pat is the man to send it to.

Dennis

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Tom, Your firing pin hole is closing up pinching your firing pin. You can take a drill bit about the hole size and open the hole. This will help for awhile but the hole will close up again in time. The cause is because the breech metal is soft. pat Lieb can fix this for you by milling a slot and replacing the metal with a harder steel strip. It a good fix it costs about 350. bucks. Look at the hole and see if it is sunken in. Thats what happens.

5. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Tom try this put two empty shells in your gun and fire the lower barrle and see if it opens hard if so recock the gun and try this fire the botton barrle and then fire the top barrle if the gun opens easy the problem is that the lower cocking rod is broke. I had a 3200 that was doing the same thing when I fired the lower barrle and try to open the gun it some time wooden open until I fired the top barrle it would open like nornal I sent the gun back to remington and thay found that the botton cocking rod was broke and thay replaced it and that fixed the problem and haven't had the problem since so I would check to see if this is your problem.

6. Kerz

Kerz Member

Laib recommends only Win 209 or STS primers to reduce the problem. I'd suggest calling them: Laib's Gunsmithing L.L.C. 201 HIGHWAY 23 NE Spicer, MN 56288-9648 320-796-2686

7. len loma

len loma TS Member

I owned one and seen the firing pin hole and face of breach becoming worn. These guns have many chronic problems and can empty a wallet quickly. Sold mine immediately and bought a sweet 682X. Can't say how happy I am for that move 6 yrs ago. You might want to ditch it.

8. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have a 3200 which allows the lower fring pin to drag on the shell as the gun opens. The pins and holes are fine but the forend iron, cocking rod and cocking cam mechanism starts moving the hammers back just a tad late. This holds the firing pins forward as the barrels begin swinging down despite the fact that the yoke is working properly. I have a spare cocking rod and plan to have my gunsmith add a few thousandths length to it with a hard weld.

9. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I'll put in another good reference for Pat Laib, He performed this same fix to my MX8 and the work looks great and is very functional. Haven't had a problem with it since.

I understand that this was a common problem in MX3, MX8 and 3200s.

My turn around time was about 3 weeks including shipping and they polished the forcing cones while it was there and changed my hammers to the new style along with new firing pins and springs.

All the work was A+ and I would reccomend them to anyone.

Mr. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
3200 breech face
remington 3200
remington 3200 cocking lod broke
remington 3200 disassembly

remington 3200 problems

remington 3200 selector problems
remington 3200 trigger problems
takedown video of remington model 3200