1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 3200 Opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ok fellow shooters. I'm asking for some good honest opinions on the 3200. I've started seeing some pretty descent buys showing up on this site and wondering if it's time to try one.

I've never shot one, so I'd like an education.

Thanks,

ss

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Once modifications are/where made they are a real workhorse. Great triggers. A bit heavy, but that's a plus if you're recoil sensitive. I loved mine.

Make sure the modifications have been made or you may get a costly surprise. I don't know the cost to do the mods. but it's $300 -$400, I think.

3. Em_One

Em_One TS Member

Barry summed it up perfectly. I have two that I use exclusively.

I don't mind the weight (they swing well for me - not too "whippy" and not too slow), and I have custom stocks that help eat up recoil (even the factory stocks weren't bad). Seven-eighths-ounce loads don't get my attention anymore than a twenty-two with my set-up. Trigger breaks like glass (tiny bit of slack to take up first, but other than that they're crisp), lock up is nice and positive. They turn targets into smoke if you're on them.

Only problem has been a broken firing pin (big deal). With the fore-end reinforcement ($150 +/- currently) and receiver update ($495), they become solid as any other gun out there. Don't pay too much attention to the bad-mouthing sure to follow..99% is subjective, the other 1% is usually just axe grinding cause they aren't $10,000 guns. Give one a try and determine for yourself if you like the feel of it.

Dave

4. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Look at the back of the receiver below the top latch,(hood). There are one or two pin versions.....one is preferable along with a .(dot) in the serial number. If a two pin it may need upgraded.....Two allen bolts below the lower firing pin on the breech face.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Can you borrow one for a few days?

To some they are, at best, an acquired taste and a good backup. To some they are what a proper O/U should be.

They are probably the very easiest gun ever made to wrap around, which is not to say they are an easy gun to get to fit YOU.

Still, they DO have ... 'style'.

Bob

6. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Ditto to about everything that's been said so far. Be sure the gun you buy has had the forend and receiver upgrades that Dave mentioned done, or plan on getting them done by Laib's. The suggestion that you find one you can shoot a bit before you buy one is a good one, best way to get an immediate feel for one of the things.
    I liked mine just fine, then I found a Baker unsingle barrel for it, had same fitted by Laib's, and I haven't looked back. Mine is not for sale, period.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Thanks for the input guys.

This is one of the very few guns that I've never shot but, always wanted to own. I think, maybe, I'll have to make a call or two and find one to shoot.

ss

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Just the best bang for the buck in the O/U market......Bob Dodd

9. len loma

len loma TS Member

I purchased a 3200 Special Trap in about 97% condition. In the 4 years I shot it the:

Forearm wood cracked
    Forearm release hardware bent(blued sheet metal)
    POI between bottom and top was different (barrel hanger)
    Firing pin holes egged out ( requires bushing holes)

Everthing I listed above are just a FEW of the many common problems with 3200. I fixed them all but last one. I sold the gun and bought a Beretta 682 which I have used for the last 6 years. I would also like to add that the 682 has also put over twice the number of rounds thru it with zero problems. Do you want to shoot and have money to shoot or dealing with problems? My opionion is there are better guns out there in the same price range.

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had a 3200 many years ago and had the updates done but I sold it when our local gunsmith who could build parts retired. Maybe if I still lived in Minnesota within driving distance of Pat Laib, I would consider keeping one but not now.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I bought one of the first 3200 Competition Traps back in the mid-1970s - no doubt from the same dealer that Vern bought his from - for $538. I was one of those people who got kicked by the 3200, even after the stock was made adjustable and was fitted to me in 1989. I shot it for two months in 1975 and three months in 1989 before selling it to my nephew in 1991, who didn't think it kicked all that hard, for $1,150. He subsequently sold it for $950 in 1993 to the first person who made him an offer so he could buy a new truck. The last I heard, it was still breaking targets at the Hegins Trap Club in Hegins, PA.

I still get an occasional urge to buy another one but when I touch my hand to my jaw, I'm reminded of why I sold the one I had.

Ed

12. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I had about the same luck as Moreclay.

JMHO

Rick in Mt.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Best buy on an O/u you will find. Just buy a gun that has been updated. If you bide your time and keep your eyes open you should be able to get one that has updates and is like new for 1250.00. If you are in a hurry you will pay more. The forearm crack was common and happens if you buy a gun that has not been updated. All guns break once in a while and I can't say the 3200 is any more prone then others and in my opinion it is less prone as long as it has been updated. A gun that has not been updated will have problems and unless you can get it for 500 bucks it isn't any kind of a deal as far as I am concerned. It will cosy you near 700 to get it updated. so... You do the math. This is why many people have had trouble with them. They don't want to pay for the update and some folks were never even aware that the gun needed an update. The factory did updates free of charge many years ago as part of a recall but those days are long since gone. Good luck 1 I don't think you can go wrong with an updated gun at less then 1250.00 in 95% plus condition. Jeff

14. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Look at this way....it's made in the US....it's a classic.....and for 1250-1500 what else has those attributes? What would be your other O/U options.....considering???....It ain't a P or a K80.....BUT....you will think it is.
    Just buy one in good condition.

I consider one of my biggest regrets, not buying a NIB 3200 comp, I had in my hands one day. And I have a few K-guns.

15. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I bought my 3200 at the Pentagon Rod and Gun Club store back in 1976. Long ago lost track of how many thousands of shells I fired through it (skeet gun) but the only thing that ever broke was a small plastic piece in the barrel selector mechanism. Cost me 10.00 to have fixed. No longer shooting skeet competitively, but the 3200 is still in regular use for my enjoyment and is not worn out yet. Best gun I ever bought and would not trade or sell it for any other, though I do use Berettas (Combo and a 391) for trap. Oh, my 3200 did have the factory upgrades when purchased, and has not needed anything else.

Jim R

16. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

They are great guns. I have had 2 with no problems at all. The Comp models and especially the "One of One Thousands" are still in great demand. The 1/1000's are going for well over $2000 with no problem at all, and are beautiful guns!

17. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

For $1,200.00 you can buy a good used Citori O/U. It will give
    you a lot less grief than a 3200. Try one before you spend your
    money. For me, they always felt like I was trying to move
    a telephone pole.

18. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I believe I paid $400.00 for the one I had in the late seventies with the upgrades.

Never had any problems with it but it just didn't feel good to me.
    Had a neutral feel that I just didn't like.

ed.

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've had mine since the early seventies. It has earned it's place in the safe. You really need to try it out, since some people seem to have a lot of trouble with fit. They are a bit on the heavy side. I'm also not sure, but I think the full upgrades cost closer to $600, if you do the forearm too.

20. furface

furface Member

The Monte carlo factory stock chopped a hole in my face. Love how they point. With custom wood that fits, they are a joy. I could say that about a lot of other shot guns.
    Like the previous post state the are not 5000 to 8000 dollar guns but are in top shelf of their price range and won't cost you much to give them try because you can always sell them for close to your purchase price. Best of luck, Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barrel hangers for remington 3200

common faults with remington 3200

help with remington 3200 modifications

remington 3200 barrel hangers

remington 3200 modifications

remington 3200 opinions

what modification are done for a remington 3200 but stock