1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

%% Remington 3200 Eye Candy %%

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dennis DeVault, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

A local customer has requested that we post these photos of his new stock and forend for a Remington 3200. The wood is English Walnut that we had lying around but it didn't turn out to bad. If you will notice the forend has been made thicker to recess the forend iron and at the back near the rear of the forend the wood was thickened to allow extra wood. The forend on the factory originals were subject to alot of cracking. Enjoy the photos and thank you for looking. The total cost on the job was about $2,800.00 and that was all inclusive.

Dennis DeVault

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/Spanky97/?action=view&current=matnstock.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

On the photo below the customer did not want the actual finger grooves but ask Cindy to draw around his fingers and checker the area so he could feel his fingers in the proper location.

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/Spanky97/?action=view&current=matnstock1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/Spanky97/?action=view&current=matnstock2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/Spanky97/?action=view&current=matnforend.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/Spanky97/?action=view&current=matnforend1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yeah, but does it have the "upgrades"

(just kidding)

3. fishguts

fishguts Member

How much does the gun weigh?

Thanks

Wayne

4. Dennis DeVault

Wayne,

The gun weights 9.16 lbs. Not to bad.

Dennis DeVault

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Mr. DeVault It,s plain to see you do very nice work and I do like seeing your stocks . Just one question why do you seem to make all your butt stocks so oversize ? The grips look larger then most as do the comb,s .

I have heard only good things about you and your work so this is only my observation .

ALF

6. Dennis DeVault

For Alf,

It may be the camera but we fit the grips to the persons hand. Another reason for the larger grip is the rotation of the hand. I want the shooters finger to be straight in-line with the trigger so you are pulling the trigger back and not lifting the trigger like most grip are made. Rotating the hand down removes the fatigue to the wrist and allows the recoil to go to the shoulder instead of the wrist. This customer has very big hands and this is the grip that we ended up with. On the comb we cut them as deep as the bolt hole will allow. For example the Infinity combs are 1-3/4" deep as we do not have a bolt hole. The deeper the comb can be cut the less you are likely to feel the cut line if the comb needs adjustment. The comb will not need to be over for the person it was made for but if the gun is ever sold and the new buyer has to move the comb it should not interfear with the jaw line. Good question and good observation. Thank you,

Dennis

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Mr. DeVault Thank You . I never noticed the deep cut in the comb (very good idea) . I also see a relief cut behind the grip for the thumb (nice)

ALF

8. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Very nice work.

9. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Dennis,

Thank you for posting the photos of my 3200!!!

I cant wait to pick the gun up from your shop and show it off to all my buddys (who do not have internet). Also, thanks to all the TS.com'ers, for all the nice comments on this ol' flint-lock O/U.

MIA, sorry the gun itself doesnt have the up-grades, but will very soon. If I can get scheduled with Mr. Laib this comming winter.

ALF-99, your correct in noticing the "extra-beef".
    Once you have a stock FIT to YOU, the way DeVault Ind. does for their customers, you simply can not go back to something else. I'm soo pleased with the way this "barn-wood" (according to Dennis) turned out, I'm ready to burst.

Yes, some might say the wood is worth more than the gun itself,,, I know thats a true statement. However, I simply love the way this 3200 shoots, and she's got a lotta' life left in her.

Ohhh, when we went to shoot targets after Dennis, and crew fit the "build-up" stock......... no one said the word, FELT-RECOIL did they????? ha.............

DeVault crew, I want to say Thanks a ton,,,,

Matt Nicol
    Perrysburg, OH.

10. Dennis DeVault

To Alf,

To go a little further in the explaination. The relief behind the grip is actually for what I call the meat pad of the hand that the thumb conects into. Years ago on conventional grips I noticed that a person with large hands and a big pad had trouble with compression of that area. I suffered with this myself. The relief allows this pad to fit behind the grip and lock the hand into the grip. When you are locked into the grip you have more control of the gun. Hope that this explains the method to the madness. And please it is Dennis not Mr. Mr is my dad. I appreciate the respect but I am just another guy who enjoys the sport and tries to help others.

Dennis

11. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

Dennis ,You tease wayyyyy too much on here .This is again just another fine example.Hats off to the lucky guy who owns it ...Chuck

12. lju

lju Member

Damn Dennis, now you've got me all worked up again thinking about MY 3200 with the soon to be Tiger Myrtle stock. I know it's going to be tough giving up that beautiful black Krylon "Bondo Baby" but I think I'll manage.

Nice job on this one! Matt I know you're a happy camper right now.

13. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Howdy Dick,

Matt here. To answer your question, I dont remember.

Allow me to explain. I dropped the gun off to DeVault's sometime last winter, (I think). I took a long time to decide what type of wood I wanted put on the gun. At first, I thought I wanted a laminate.

More important, I was not in any hurry to get the gun back. I wanted to get better with singles and caps, and not be consernerd about doubles (or changing guns with every other good/bad week shooting).

Dennis allowed me to drop by his shop whenever I was in the Canton, OH area and check on the progress. This turned into a fun experience, and getting to know the people better at DeVaults was my pleasure.

I'll ask Dennis to give you an accurate time frame, for a better answer.

Matt

14. Portigee Duckman

Portigee Duckman TS Member

Matt , Send that rascal my way ,I'll take it out shoot a limit of Mallard
    with it and give you MY HONEST OPINION ! I hope this will HELP ?

15. Dennis DeVault

Hi Dick,

Once Matt gave me the OK to do the job it was completed in about (5) weeks give or take a day. We are in the process of ramping up for more wood production and to also work on better delivery dates. This should happen sometime in October.

Thank you for looking,

Dennis

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

That's the best looking 3200 I've ever seen, Dennis....and the grip angle is perfect! Looks like murder on doubles targets with that piece!

Ron Burr

17. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

This is the finest example of a Remington 3200 that I have ever seen. Outstanding work Dennis.

Tom Strunk

18. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Shot the gun last night. This gun has always turned targets inside out when I do my part. However, with this fit stock the gun just shoots like pointing your finger.

Recoil??? Non here, the barrels hardly move (I'm told) when the shell goes off. Maybe one problem, just like my MachOne, this gun now bets me to the target. The dang thing seems to have a mind of its own.....

Thank you for all the wonderful comments,

Matt
    If you see me at any shoot, dont be shy. Most are welcome to shoot a practice round with my guns if interested (at your own risk). I'm not beating any drum, but I think you'll be calling DeVault after shootin'......

19. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I too have large hands. The first custom stock I had made by Reinhard Fagin in Missouri ten or so years ago was returned because the grip forced me to pull up on the trigger. The relief for the thumb pad that Dennis describes was not deep enough and the palm swell was not "high" enough. Both problems had been mentioned as the stock was being roughed out.

The second stock made after I reshaped the original with Bondo and a Dremmel tool and returned it, was great. The gun could be mounted using only my trigger hand. The grip was that secure.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.