1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 3200 education required

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BELGIBOY, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BELGIBOY

BELGIBOY TS Member

In my ongoing search for an affordable first trapgun, I've run into the Remington 3200 a couple of times now. I like the look very much and the wood is generally very nice but other than that I know little or nothing about them. I'm especially interested in the mechanics of the gun: is it strong, reliable and easy to maintain compared to the other usual suspects (Win 101, Browning XT...) What are the Pros and Cons if any. Any (semi-) informed opinion is very welcome.

Steven

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The Pros:

- mechanical triggers & pretty good ones

- mechanically simple & reliable

- good pointing gun

The Cons:

- heavy and 'un-lively'

- in spite of their weight, they are not a soft-shooter

- pretty flat shooter for modern tastes & no adjustable rib

- no single barrel

All of the 'Cons' can be fixed, of course, but by the time all that is done, you have sunk a chunk of change in it.

Shoot a couple and if they fit (especially for doubles) and shoot where you look, and you don't mind a flat(ter) shooting iron, they are an excellent choice for an all-around gun, as they will shoot from the back fence just fine, and that is not something you can say about every o/u.

Bob

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Make sure the "updates" have been done. Without them, there could be several points of failure and expensive repairs involved. Do a search on this forum and you'll find a wealth of information about it. The basic updates could go higher than $500 and parts some are limited on availability. Pat Laib's is probably one of the better 3200 Smiths and he does the updates.

If the gun fits you well, the recoil should not be a problem. Some people get beat up pretty badly and require some stock modifications to make it fit.

The triggers are mechanical and they sre among the best on a factory gun in that class.

See if you can arrange to shoot one and see for yourself.

4. BELGIBOY

BELGIBOY TS Member

Thank you, found out about the updates. I should look for the 2 hex screws on the receiver face and/or a dot in the serial no.
    Did all mod 3200s need this update or is there a point in time where the modifications were done by Remington during production?

5. len loma

len loma TS Member

This is from a former 3200 owner. Plain and simple they have many inherit design problems. And yes they can be fixed but there is a new problem just waiting to ruin your season. Why spend money fixing one when there are way better guns out there?

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

3200s are neat guns...but,as someone pointed out to me, they are kind of "cult" guns - something like '57 Chevys are to car buffs - neat, but not practical for dependability since they are so long out of production. I have owned a couple, but now stay with Browning XTs. I have spotted a very nice 3200, but cannot bring myself to buy it because of the reality of inherent problems. If it breaks, you are out of luck - you must box it up and ship it to Minnesota (Laib's). Parts availability is a MAJOR problem as is cracking in the stock or forearm. Put your hard-earned dollars toward a good XT, SKB, (or more $$ - Beretta). Best Regards, Ed

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I bought mine in 1983 and have broken three parts since then, all fixed by a local gunsmith, so nix sending to Laib. Mine doesn't kick as much as my Browning Special Trap, the 3200 points well, and I love the mechanical triggers. Make sure the updates are done and check the relief around the tang, the tang should NOT touch the wood anywhere, top or bottom! If it does, the stock will crack at the touch point due to recoil. There are some beautiful 3200's out there priced right and the gun will serve you well for a long, long time.

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Steven,

I own two and love them both. There's a group of us out there who are dedicated to these fine guns. There are many who will bash them also.

My Competition has been to Laibs twice in 20,000+ targets. I sent it in when I first got it for their receiver face insert upgrade, their foreend upgrade, and a complete checkup. Since then I did break a firing pin. They replaced it at no charge.

These guns fit me well. I like their looks, and I like their weight. I have both a 32" Competition and a 30" 1/1000", both are choked IM/F. Neither hurt me recoil-wise, but everybody is different of course. I like the fact that they are American made and that there are only 45k some-odd of them out there. I get complements on my guns virtually every shoot I go to--that's cool, to me. I like classics (cars, motorcycles, etc.) and enjoy owning something that is a bit unique.

Bob Dodd, a regular poster here, has helped me learn about these guns. He is biased somewhat because he likes them too, but his vast experience is very valuable when considering a 3200. He has shot a wide variety of guns and will tell you the truth. He'll most likely respond to this thread. Also, do a search on 3200s here on TS.com and you'll find a great deal of info--probably more than any other gun.

Call Laibs and talk to them. Nobody knows the ins and outs better than they.

The best advice you can get is to try the various brands and models of guns you may be interested in. Once you find one that seems to be a natural fit, learn everything you can about the model (as you seem to be doing), learn the value/price range, and shop patiently. One will turn up.

Good luck and enjoy the search--it's easy to get to anxious and buy to fast.

Guy Babin

3200 Fan at Large

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

There was a design change that did away with the need for the 2 hex screws. I don't know if the design of the forearm hardware was ever changed. They are subject to dishing around the firing pin holes after a lot of use and this can lead to dragging of and breakage of the firing pins. BUT they are fantastic handling guns and in all the time I shot mine I never had one let me down in a match even so I always had a backup just in case. That was shooting both Trap and Skeet. They are getting fairly long in the tooth however with the last being made in 1983 IIRC.

--- Chip King ---

10. BELGIBOY

BELGIBOY TS Member

Wow, a fascinating gun. Here's where I add that the 3200 that I'm specifically looking at:

- has the dot in the serial no
    - according to the seller "appears to be unfired with mirror-like bores"
    - is priced so that I would have the cash left to put on an adjustable butt-pad if I decided to buy it, the LOP is about 1/2" shorter than ideal for me.

And last but certainly not least, I live within driving distance of Pat Laib's shop.

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Maybe the seller will let you take it to Pat & Tom's shop for a lookover?

I'd recommend getting a fully adjustable comb installed in addition to the butt plate, to allow POI adjustment.

The "dot" is ok, but the real test are the allens at the bottom of the receiver face.

Laibs can tell you if it is in fact virtually unfired and what the appropriate value is.

Guy B.

P.S.

If you buy it and decide you don't want it anymore, you will have no trouble selling it if it is a nice gun that hasn't been butchered.

12. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I love my 3200 but agree that outside of Laib's, expert (the key word) gunsmiths and parts can be hard to find if indeed, something breaks. Mine went for years without even a stutter but after years of shooting and thousands of rounds, some things did fail. The stock had developed a crack and I had it repaired once but it eventually broke again and I ended up buying a new stock and having an adjustable comb installed. Shortly thereafter, the top barrel would not reset and I shipped the gun off to Laib's. Laib's went through it and and replaced all parts that required replacing, installed their firing pin bushing and adjusted the new stock so as to avoid cracking in the future.

The gun has been nearly rebuilt and the cost was still less than buying a new quality over and under (Beretta or Browning, for example). I admit I did get a fantastic deal when I purchased the new stock, though.

Good luck!

13. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

The 3200 is a great gun. I shot a couple of 3200's for decades. Only one minor problem in all those years and Laib fixed it right, fast and cheap. Old Goat is right - it's kind of a cult thing. For an affordable gun and a fun gun it can't be beat (in my opinion).

Then I got a Kolar and as much as I hate to say it - there is no comparison and I wonder why the heck I waited all those years to get a high end gun.

My 49 cents.

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I must be getting old, I remember when a 3200 was a high end gun.

15. chipking

chipking TS Member

BELGIBOY BUY IT! BUY IT NOW and don't look back. Buy a 1/2 inch black plastic spacer from Brownells and put it in front of the pad. If after all that you decide you don't like it you can always sell it to folks like me. Especially if it has 32 inch barrels. After all it is a cult thing. I've only owned 7 or so.

--- Chip King ---

16. dshot

dshot Member

I have 4 of them now, even one of the Belquium Premier's, they all shoot great and are very heavey, but work well for trap and skeet. To heavey for sporting clays and hunting for my taste.

17. Em_One

Em_One TS Member

So far the only so-called "cons" mentioned are subjective. They are no more "heavy or unlively" than a K80...sure its a heavy gun (many trapguns are), but the 3200's move quick for me. They may not be quick for some people, but I can make my 3200's move like lightening, yet I find Perazzi's "whippy". Try one out before judging it in that regard.

I've shot 3200's with factory stocks and now with custom fit, and they've never kicked any obscene amount...and now with a fit custom made stock I can shoot Nitro 27's and only feel a slight push. Shooting 7/8oz @ 1250 is like a pop gun, but again this is subjective. Someone the gun doesn't fit will always say it kicks, but someone with a well fit stock won't feel much of anything. This again is subject to personal fit and their mount.

On the other hand, adjustable ribs and single barrels are overrated (in my opinion). Want it to shoot higher? Get an adjustable comb and look at the target, forget the rib and the beads. I don't see anyone telling LH-III he needs a "single barrel" for 16's and caps (last I saw, he shot a Beretta O/U) - its personal taste. I'm back to the 25.5 so far with a 3200...I've only stalled for lack of practice.

I have two 3200's - one was well used with updates when I bought it, and I purchased it mainly for the customized adjustable stock. The other was NIB, unfired. I've had them since 2006-2007 and over 15,000+ (practice and registered) later, I only had one firing pin break in the old/used model. I had the updates done to the NIB model and zero issues. Both now have Wenig custom stocks. So lets get down to the math two 3200's @ $1300 ea, updates (receiver, foreend) for one @ $650, two custom fit stocks @ $1500 ea....$6250. Go try and buy TWO custom fit high-end K or P guns for $6250 ($3125 each). Once they have the updates they are good for a long service life - any gun will eventually break springs and pins. Chances are, you won't wear a 3200 out in your life-time. If you do, chances are you would've worn out any more expensive K or P gun as well...

Dave

18. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

They worked for me for years. Lively? Matt Dryke won the Olympic Gold Medal in Skeet with one in 1984. One question I have is "Is anyone making or selling plunger assemblies now?" I have a spare or two but the fellow who was rebuilding mine is gone now. Does Pat Laib make them? You wouldn't want to make one yourself.

19. Dakota Bittner

Dakota Bittner TS Member

I just bought a 3200 special trap less than a month ago and I couldn't be happier with it. So far I have only shot practice rounds with it, and I already have one 100 with it and I've only shot 300 rounds through it. I believe the 3200 is one of the best shooting guns there is.(but that's just my opinion). the only way you can go wrong is if you buy one without the updates and expect it to last after thousands of rounds, because it won't. also, make sure the area around the firing pin is not worn, because that will cost you a fair amount of $ to fix.

20. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

I have 2 combo sets. 1. Std trap with adjustable comb, jones style butt plate, 30" o/u and 32" top Stan Baker .780 bore with tubes. 2. Comp grade with adjustable comb, graco recoil system, 32" o/u, and a 34" Stan Baker unsingle adjustable rib .740 bore with tubes. Love them both. Problem is, which one to shoot.

Ken Cerney

Wisconsin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

matt dryke remington 3200

what years of remmington 3200 needed updatw