Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remington 3200 dry fire

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  OldRemFan 
#1 ·
I have heard somewhere that you cannot damage a Remington 3200 by dry firing it. Is this true or should I be using snap caps when I am releasing firing pins before storage.

Thanks,
GJB

#3 ·
Anything can be damaged by excess. Safer to error on the safe side , I just holds empty hull against the recover face and drop the hammers . When I first got my 3200 it had been dry fired a lot and it caused the pins to hang out. Crenwelle fixed it in just a few minutes

#5 ·
Actually you are better off without snap caps in the 3200. When the gun is closed the firing pins go forward. If there are no shells or snap caps in the gun the hammers should not hit the firing pins. If you release the hood/opening lever with the small release lever on the right side just under the hood you can see the firing pins go forward. If you remove the barrels from the gun and release the hood/opening lever the hammers will release when the triggers are pulled. You will see very little movement of the firing pins, if any, when the hammers release.

#11 ·
If you want to test the theory that the block is taking all the force when you pull the trigger, if nothing is in the chamber, a really simple test can be done yourself. Remove the barrels and with the hammers still in the cocked position, while putting a little pressure on the top lock lever as if you were opening the gun, push down on the top lock latch under the right side of the top lock hood, and let the locking hood slide into it's forward position. Then push the barrel selector to the right (top barrel). Place the tip of your finger very, very lightly on the tip of the firing pin. Do not push the firing pin rearward into the breech block. While holding your finger lightly on the firing pin tip, pull the trigger. Then move your finger to the bottom firing pin and pull the trigger again. That will tell you if any energy is being applied to the firing pins in your shotgun of if the block is taking it all. What you can see and what you can feel may very well be two different things.

Then after you have satisfied your curosity do what ljutic111 recommended. Use the snap caps. That is the safe way to release the energy in the hammer springs without damage to the firing pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.