1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 3200 Bushing & Forearm Update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bryce720, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

I have a Remington 3200 Special Trap 32". All of the Remington updates have been done. I am going to take the plunge and turn this thing into a full time shooter. This will be a multi-purpose gun, trap, sporting & live birds so I will be putting some rounds through it and want it to be able to go the long haul.

I have had no issues with the forearm thus far, but it seems if you don't get the update it is only a matter of time before it will crack. My top firing pin stuck once and this seems to be another issues with these guns. I talked to Pat Laib he said he can drill it out but unless you shoot any other ammo than STS's it will close up again without the update.

The forearm update is $155 and the Bushing (firing pin) update would run $385. For the $385 they go through the receiver and clean everything and let you know if anything needs replacing.

For anyone that has stuck with the 3200 have you done these updates and were they worth it and or did they work out for you??? Thanks

2. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

If your firing pin stuck, you must have a gun with some serious rounds through it. I would invest the money in finding a Special Trap or Comp Trap with no rounds through it. I had a "billion" rounds through two of mine and never had a problem with forend or breech face. Your gun must have more than a "billion" rounds through it. Too bad, I just sold a new Comp receiver and forend iron on this site not too long ago. It could have been yours.

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Bought my comp in 83, no firing pin or hole problems yet. I'd find a different gun.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The one thing you have going for you is the 32" barrels, there not nearly as common as the 30", and do bring a premium. I would hazard a guess that it'll be cheaper to put the upgrades into your gun, than it will be to sell yours, and buy one that already has the upgrades (most don't have the forend upgrade anyways, thats a laib thing, not a remington thing). These upgrades are probably about the only add-on you can do that will actually increase the value of your gun, most people who know 3200s will only buy one with upgrades, and if you do manage to sell it w/ out, you take a 30%+ whack because of it.

5. eightbore

Ian, if I were to see a 3200 for sale with the breech face insert, I would assume that the gun has at least 300,000 round through it and is about to self destruct.

6. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

I would do the "no cost" forearm update by removing the ejector springs. Spend the money for the bushing update as drilling will only prolong the inevitable. The receivers are soft, leading to cratering around the firing pin hole. My 3200 special trap made it over 120,000 rounds after the cratering started before it broke a firing pin. My .02

ph

7. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

Thanks for all the help thus far. According to Pat Laib, with modern ammo it eats into the receivers pretty quickly, creating said problem. That being said it only stuck once and I tapped it and it fell right back in?? I have thought of removing the springs and having extractors only?? I have also heard this makes the gun easier to open??

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ive had Pat do The insert on my 3200. They did a great job. Its alittle pricey for sure but the gun works beautify. Didn't need the firing pin problem. They also do this job for the Perazzi guns.

9. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I bought my Competition 3200 nib in 1992. In about 10 years it needed the breach face insert as the primers with all steel cups had dished out around the firing pin holes. I had the forend update done at the same time as a precaution. The forend developed a small crack anyway even after the update. The breach face insert is very hard and shows no wear after 8 more years shooting. The insert is a worthwhile modification to correct the sticking and possible breaking of the firing pins.

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

My apologies, I missed, "All of the Remington updates have been done."

11. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

Thanks to all for the info. What is a good set of 32" untouched special trap barrels worth IM/Full.

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I have a pair of them, a 32" Competition and a 30" 1/1000. I shot them both allot! They are the only guns I compete with. The beauty here is that they're both set up with the exact same stock geometry including LOP, recoil pad, adj comb, adj butt plate, etc.

Send your gun to Pat & Tom and have them go through it. They will replace/upgrade what's needed based on its condition. That done, you're starting off fresh with a better than new gun that will serve you well. Do it!

I typically send mine back to Laibs every couple of years for a check-up as I put thousands of rounds through them each year and want to maintain them in pristine operating condition. This is overkill, but that's just me.

It will probably be tough to find a barrel set by itself. Better to buy a second entire gun. That way you'll have a pair and won't have to deal with fitting an orphan barrel to your existing receiver. If you are patient you will find a good deal on a 32" model.

Good luck and all the best,

Guy Babin

13. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

gdbabin- you have a PM.
    I had read in one of the 3200 posts that someone puts 1911 firing pin springs in-place of the ejector springs?? This eliminates cracking and makes for more of a extractor?? Any info on this method would be appreciated. Thanks

14. grunt

Bryce 720, Ive done this to both my 3200s, Its a real easy job and a quick fix. 1911 firing pin springs will fit nicely and will take stress off the forend. I reload so the ejectors will lift the hulls up for removal, Bought the springs from Brownells.

15. eightbore

Which of the thousands of variations of 1911 do you use the springs from, or is the firing pin spring the same on all of the variations?

16. grunt

Im not sure, If there is a difference Im not aware of it maybe some pistol shooters will know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

3200 remington special trap forend

remington 3200

remington 3200 adjusting the forearm
remington 3200 forearm tighten up
remington 3200 forend for sale

remington 3200 special trap shotguns

remington 3200 upgrade

remington3200gunrepair