1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

remington 32 or 3200?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joey S., Nov 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

I have always liked the look of the Remington 3200 ever since I first saw one.
    I currently shoot a 1100 which seems to fit me well. I've only seen pictures of the Remington 32 (I have seen the K80). Can any one out their compare and contrast these two models. If given the choice, which would you prefer?
    thanks, Joe S.

2. cle

cle Member

Santajo..........
    Each one is different. Remington made about 6,000 M-32's between 1932 & roughly 1940. They "made up" a couple dozen more guns from leftover parts after WWII. The M-32 was the first O/U with "split barrels." And, the sliding "latch cap" was a revolutionary design feature that "self compensated" for barrel lock-up wear. And, as a rule, the 3200's were bulkier and heavier than the original Remington M-32's.

DuPont (which owned Remington at the time) sold the M-32 designs, rights and production machinery to a group European & American investors in the late 1950's - early 1960's (I believe). That group in turn "recruited" the century old German gun manufacturer, Krieghoff, to produce the initial guns. By the early 1970's the Kreighoff M-32 was gaining popularity and Remington saw a marketing opportunity for an American made, lower priced O/U. Since the "M-32" name was gone Remington had to use "3200." The K-32 was the basis from which Krieghoff developed the K-80 and some parts remain interchangable.

As I said, having owned and shot all four guns; M-32, K-32, M-3200 & K-80, they are all different. Most noticable is the lock time which has gotten faster with each successive model, particularly from the two "32" models to the 3200 and then again to the K-80.

Others may disagree but having bought a new 3200 about 1973 ($425) and watching the evolution of trapguns from that time forward, it is my observation that the 3200, which retained the split barrel design from the K-32 and the original Remington design, served as the design inspiration (and "platform") from which individual gunsmith produced the first "Unsingle" barrel designs. This led ultimately to the mainline combo sets so prevalent today.

One part of the story that has eluded me is how Krieghoff, who apparently started out as just a "custom manufacturer" for the investor group, finally got control of the product and got their name on the line of guns that evolved from the Remington Model 32.

And a final note.........anyone interested in a unique 2 barrel Remington 32 Trap/Skeet combo gun can contact this writer at the e-mail address above.

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

What is a "K-32" You mean a Model 32?

4. cle

cle Member

K-32 or Krieghoff M-32 or Model 32 - all same thing.

5. KRK32

KRK32 Member

cle done a great job of explaning alot of the history of them. The rem. 3200 is the only one of the four that the parts wont interchange with the others after fitting I have a friend that shoots a Rem 32 built up as a trap special with k80 triggers. If you have a rem 3200 your limited to what was made for that specific gun. A rem 32, k32, and k80 all are interchangeable with some fitting. For a while there my doubles barrel was a 75 year old rem 32 barrel on a k80 receiver. Most will prefer the k80 i do too but a k32 is just as reliable and consitant with a sear spring update and if you keep any of them serviced and taken care of they will last a lifetime. Kirk

6. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

CLE thanks for the history lesson - that was fantastic!

KRK32 so the Remington 32 and the Kriegoff k32 are the same gun?
    Also Kriegoff would be a source of spare parts for the Remington 32?

Thanks, Joe S.

7. cle

cle Member

Santajo............

Typically Krieghoff is not very interested in Remington 32's unless you want it "gutted" and rebuilt as a K-80, not cheap.

For repairs and parts for a Remington 32 check with Delgreco in Ilion, NY.

CLE

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Krieghoff wont rebuild Remington 32s anymore and they do not have parts

There are a lot of similarities between Remington 32s and Krieghoff but there are a lot of differences also

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remington 3200s are a very nice gun for the money. HMB

10. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

When the Krieghoff name became known Arnold Reigger was chosen to shoot and promote the gun.

How did Hal Dupont get involved? Always assumed Hal was the investor behind Kreighoff.

11. cle

cle Member

To my knowledge, Hal D. was one of the group of investors who acquired the Remington 32 "product package" from Remington/DuPont Chemical. Being "a DuPont" likely didn't hurt the negotiation/agreement.

Interesting to note, somewhere in the dealings & negotiations with the Krieghoff company, Hal Dupont apparently obtained the rights to the use of the Krieghoff "name" in North America. Anybody remember the "Shotguns of Ulm?" They were Krieghoffs sold in North America during a short lived "difference of opinion" between Hal D. and the Krieghoff company/family.

12. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

I miss the Remington 32 skeet and Remington 32 TC that I had at one time. They are a classic American shotgun. The same Remington 32 skeet I owned is for sale at www.jaquas.com for $1695 but I have bigger wants at the moment.
    Doug

13. setter

setter Member

This is a longer read; however, for those inquiring minds more history on the K-80.

Jim

14. setter

setter Member

Also, for more, from Alan Rhone and Krieghoff of U.K. and Irelamd.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

cle- I shoot a Shotguns of Ulm K-80. It was imported by Hunting.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
3200 or k80
differences between krieghoff k-80 and remington 3200
remington 3200 32

remington 3200 history

remington 3200 parts

remington 3200 spare parts uk
remington model 32
where was the 3200 remington made